• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Construction is over budget and with surprise items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbrakey

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CA
Hello,
We are towards the end of a new construction project at our home, the addition of a detached two story building, garage on first floor, guest apartment on second, rooftop deck. The bad news is our contractor has gone far over budget and keeps asking for more money, but cannot deliver any receipts for the money I've already paid. I'm starting to get frustrated. I understand overages, and changes, and how that adds up to the overall cost, I'm fine with that. What I don't understand is an item in his cost summary titled "supervision" at $9500, that's all it says, not who, how many days or hours, just "supervision" and $9500, which is included in his subtotal, to which he adds 20% for his profit, for a total of $11400. This "supervision" is nowhere in his first or second estimate, I have no idea what it means, I have no documentation for it, and so I'm not going to pay it. I've told him this morning that he's exhausted the budget, and I'm not writing another check until I get receipts and can audit his spending, but I don't think I'm going to pay for "supervision" even after that. What do you think?

John Se

whats you contract say?

Is this a fixed price contract? Plus change orders? Or did you make some sort of "time and materials" deal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">