• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the contract valid for unlicensed contractor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

truong

What is the name of your state?Hi, I live in California. I signed a contractor with a unlicensed contractor. I want to know is the contract valid. It has been three weeks and nothing is done after the demo. The plumbing and electrical are unfinish. I just found out the contractor is not licensed. Can I get out of the contract?

Please help!

John Se

Yes and Yes

since your guy is unlicensed he will not be able to get remedy in suing you because he is breaking the law even making a contract for work that he is supposed to be liicensed to do. If you had to sue him to finish the work or pay up then you could.

truong

John Se said:
since your guy is unlicensed he will not be able to get remedy in suing you because he is breaking the law even making a contract for work that he is supposed to be liicensed to do. If you had to sue him to finish the work or pay up then you could.

Hi there,

Thanks for the rely. Can you point any government site that stated the unlicensed can't put a lien on the property or sue. I was told my many people the contractor is valid because I signed and agreed to it. I very need some help from anyone.

Thank you

lwpat

Contact the California Contractor's Licensing Board and file a complaint. There have been numerous cases on this issue. An unlicensed contractor cannot collect and you cannot receive the proper permits. You also need to contact your local codes department.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">