• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor broke sidelight window

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jjett217

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in Virginia. A handyman I hired for several odd jobs broke the sidelight window while installing a dead bolt lock. He wanted to make the repair himself. I was not comfortable with that since he had demonstrated some competency issues over the course of the work.... I told him that I thought he would understand if I declined the offer. He seemed to agree and I got an estimate from a glass company and asked him to be present. He was there. The glass company said its a Masonite sidelight and the glass cannot be cut out since the molding and frame are all one piece. A had a carpentry contractor confirm this. I told my contractor I would get an estimate for replacement of the entire unit. The contractor I want to hire has warned me to get it in writing that the handyman agrees to another contractor making the repair. He said it may be the case that since I refused him to do the work he may have recourse against me for the rest of the money I owe him. The money I owe him $1200 is a little less than the repair job. My thought is that this is damage that is not faulty work related to the job list that we both signed. In other words I am not arguing about the way he did the work but that he damaged my house doing the work. Any ideas on how to proceed so he has no recourse against me? Thank you

racer72

You are only entitled to the cost to replace the broken window, not the cost to replace the entire unit.

Jjett217

Thanks

Thanks for the response. But the glass cannot be put back into the frame without replacing the frame. Two contractors have said the entire frame has be replaced to get the door back to the condition before the damage. so if he came out with just the glass and cut out the existing glass there is no patch kit for the molding.and do I have to let him do the work?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">