• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contractor and client dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CraigerZ

What is the name of your state? co

i have a client who is holding my tools to get her deposit back. I have gone threw a mediator and she has now hired an attorney. there has been 2 contractors look at the work and said it was unsatisfactory. the attorney has called it "unworkmen-like" and not meeting acceptable standards. This is all new to me. I have been doing my job for years and have never had someone complain about the quaility. Who sets the guidlines? What makes my own style of installation not up standards? Where can I find this information? help!!!!

HomeGuru

CraigerZ said:
What is the name of your state? co

i have a client who is holding my tools to get her deposit back. I have gone threw a mediator and she has now hired an attorney. there has been 2 contractors look at the work and said it was unsatisfactory. the attorney has called it "unworkmen-like" and not meeting acceptable standards. This is all new to me. I have been doing my job for years and have never had someone complain about the quaility. Who sets the guidlines? What makes my own style of installation not up standards? Where can I find this information? help!!!!
**A: Are you living in a cave? There are numerous standards that are available in the construction industry. For building plans see the American Institute of Architects (AIA). For construction specs consult with the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI). The each building product manufactuturer has their own installation instructions. The state of CO has general standards for licensed contractors with respect to workmanlike construction. And the National Association of Homebuilders Association has great standards for new construction as well as a separate standards for remodeling work. HUD even has what is known as Minimum Property Standards (MPS).
Now specifc to your case, if your client is holding your tools, why did you not call the police and report the theft? And if the homeowner and 2 third party contractors found your work to be unacceptable, maybe all 3 are correct. How come you did not get your own third party contractor to support your position?
And lastly, what specific type of work did you complete?

C

CraigerZ

First I never said I was doing this as a corp. or s.p. I install flooring but I have been in a different area of flooring since I opened . we have wandered into remods, and have almost exclusively been installing tile, and laminante recently and contracted to only one company. I am extremely familiar with spec in carpet care. I am cert. master tech. I have kept most of my independant work to small installs and repairs. Im happy too say as cave go I have lived in a quiet one. Remods and construction in general are vast with angles at every corner and I am enrolled in classes to enlighten my cave with a view.
The mediator in this case was the police and due to financial restraints have not been able to spend to doe to get the instant answers. Hense ,me being here asking for help. I admit that I assumed some similarities. but was incorrect. Ty for the info. Lastly, I only laid 12 tiles and by the time I was in mediation, she had already pulled them. Its going to be included in the counter suit. I was trying to get more info for ammo so if i cannot go threw a lawyer i would be better prepared for small claims TY for the help, and Ill keep working on the cave.

HomeGuru

CraigerZ said:
First I never said I was doing this as a corp. or s.p. I install flooring but I have been in a different area of flooring since I opened . we have wandered into remods, and have almost exclusively been installing tile, and laminante recently and contracted to only one company. I am extremely familiar with spec in carpet care. I am cert. master tech. I have kept most of my independant work to small installs and repairs. Im happy too say as cave go I have lived in a quiet one. Remods and construction in general are vast with angles at every corner and I am enrolled in classes to enlighten my cave with a view.
The mediator in this case was the police and due to financial restraints have not been able to spend to doe to get the instant answers. Hense ,me being here asking for help. I admit that I assumed some similarities. but was incorrect. Ty for the info. Lastly, I only laid 12 tiles and by the time I was in mediation, she had already pulled them. Its going to be included in the counter suit. I was trying to get more info for ammo so if i cannot go threw a lawyer i would be better prepared for small claims TY for the help, and Ill keep working on the cave.
**A: only 12 tiles? There has to be more to this story. And I have a mean feeling that you are going to loose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">