• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor Disappeared and did not finish work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gumby972

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? House is in Montgomery AL - I live in San Antonio TX.

I need some help and I'm not sure where to start. I retired from the Air Force in Montgomery AL in 2006 and left in 2007. I hired a contractor to do work due to a water pipe breaking and ruining the kitchen of the house I was trying to sell. I lost contact with him and then found him again. He gave me a long story of 3 deaths in his family so I gave him more time. All the pipes had to be replaced so I sent more money. The man has disappeared after being paid in full from my insurance money and the extra I paid out of pocket to get the pipes replaced. I'm disabled and living in San Antonio TX. I cannot get the contractor to return my calls or answer letters. What can I do? What type of lawyer do I need? Can you help me?

nextwife

If you ever do this again, I strongly recommend disbursing through a title company. The fees are worth it. Of course, obtaining and following up on references the seller worked for over a long period of time is important.

John Se

get a private investigator to find this guy

they have ways of finding people, it may not cost that much, plus they are good at keeping evidence to use against the bad guy. If he used a telphone or the internet or a email address then he comitted wire fraud which is a federal offense, that usually gets guys moving.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? House is in Montgomery AL - I live in San Antonio TX.

I need some help and I'm not sure where to start. I retired from the Air Force in Montgomery AL in 2006 and left in 2007. I hired a contractor to do work due to a water pipe breaking and ruining the kitchen of the house I was trying to sell. I lost contact with him and then found him again. He gave me a long story of 3 deaths in his family so I gave him more time. All the pipes had to be replaced so I sent more money. The man has disappeared after being paid in full from my insurance money and the extra I paid out of pocket to get the pipes replaced. I'm disabled and living in San Antonio TX. I cannot get the contractor to return my calls or answer letters. What can I do? What type of lawyer do I need? Can you help me?
In addition to what has already been stated, you could get any lawyer that deals in contract law. You could sue the contractor for conversion of your money, breach of contract, unjust enrichment/Restitution, and maybe even fraudulent misrepresentation. The lawyer you consult with can assist you with dreaming up causes of action/things to sue the contractor for. Honestly, it looks like you have a good case from numerous perspectives. The hardest part is the money it will cost you to collect the money the contractor stole and tracking the deadbeat contractor down. It may not be worth the money to pursue this contractor and a good attorney will be able to tell you the costs involved with pursuing the action. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">