• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contractor doubles costs estimate!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gdyrman

i live in NC and am building a new modular home - my problem is the site contractor, he has drawn 2/3's of his money and has completed less than 1/3 of the work agreed. and now, after questioning him on his cost overruns, he has presented a new site construction estimate that is more than double the original contract amount. there have been no problems on site, nothing has changed or interfered to cause costs to go up, simply the contractor has stated that the original prices were "too low". this agreement was part of an addendum to the home sales contract and was drawn up by the home reseller and the site contractor. there should be no question on the numbers agreed to as all parties were in the room when the contract was signed.

my question: can i hold his feet to the fire on the original estimate? if i fire him, what recourse is available to recoup what he has already been paid?

thanks, Gdyrman

HomeGuru

Have anattorey review the contract and all the draws to date. Who is approving the draws such that the payment is more than the actual work? Sounds like your project is out if control.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">