• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor hits me with $9500 change order -

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dyessch

What is the name of your state? California

This is a 2nd story addition

Plans were approved by Los Angeles on 11/23/04.

Held walk through with contractor on 1/20/05. I had made repeated request to get a copy of the plans but did not receive them until Feb 13. During the walkthrough the contractor did not disclose that the City had required sheer walls on the front and back of the house. In fact the contractor said that the only sheer walls were on the garage area. He said that that the stucco on the addition would be matched to the existing structure. The contract did not include sheer walls for the front and rear of the house and new stucco.

Demolition started on Feb 4. That evening the contractor calls me and says that the City has required sheer walls. Keep in mind this was requirement was in the plans that were approved on 11/23/04 that were never given to me. Says it will be $9565 strip the walls put the sheer walls in and restucco the house. The construction crew had spray painted the back walll of the house. The hiuse was textured coated in 10/03 and excellent condition. He says to sign the change order if I want to continue. I signed it to have them keep working. Felt I had no choice because my house had been ripped apart.

Do I have any recourse? The sales person for the contractor is the person behind this, can I go after him or should I just pursue the contractor?

Last edited:

John Se

do you believe the contractor should just eat it?

is this what you mean by recourse?, Not a good way to do business! Whats you contract say? why dont you copy and post it then we can decide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">