• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor - Incomplete Work - Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ckoeppel

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hello. My husband and I signed an agreement with our contractor on January 9, 2003. During that time he received 2 payouts, nearly $200,000, with the final payout to be paid at the time of completion. Our contract read: "The work to be perfomred under this Contract shall be commenced on or before January 11, 2003, and shall be substantially completed on or before September 1, 2003. Time is of the essence." Our house was not completed by this date -- we had to live in a hotel for nearly a month. Our contractor quit the job leaving our home incomplete according to our agreement. In fact, my husband spoke with our contractor on September 25, 2003, to ask him what was going on with the house -- it had been 2 days and no one worked in the house, was he finished, could we move in, when would the yard be at final grade as agreed? After the conclusion of his conversation, our contractor said, "I'll tell you what bud, we will get our tools tomorrow and she is all yours." He walked off the job.

Approximately 60 days after we finally moved in on September 29, several of the subs started calling us stating they were never paid. These subs were hired by our contractor and completed work during the period of the first 2 payouts. The bank froze our 3rd payout and placed it in escrow. Therefore we had to pay these subs out of pocket in order to prevent mechanics liens on the house.

We hired an attorney to help us get this resolved and later learned when trying to lock in and close on our mortgage to take advantage of the low interest rates, our contractor placed a lien on our home for the entire balance of the 3rd payout.

To make a long story short, our contractor's bookkeeping is horrible, although our records are very thorough. He submitted an unsigned final sworn contractors statement including many incorrect subcontractors and contract amounts listed. On this statement, our contractor didn't even exclude the amounts we had to pay out of pocket to the subs he claimed to have paid. Our attorney requested that he sign the final sworn contractors statement over 4 months ago and nothing has surfaced. However, every month our contractor sends a bill for the entire balance of the 3rd payout including finance charges.

Following our attorney's request for the signed final sworn contractors statement, the monthly bill sent to us by our contractor including a deduction for our cabinets which we paid out of pocket and he claims to have paid on the final sworn contractors statement.

The lien he filed against our home is for a sum of $154,172.00. Following his statement correction mentioned above, the contractor is now claiming that we owe him $148,118.93 which is still incorrect.

Referring to the Illinois Mechanics Lien Act, section 7, "No such lien shall be defeated to the proper amount thereof because of an error or overcharging on the part of any person claiming a lien therefore under this Act, unless it shall be shown that such error or overcharge is made with intent to defraud."

My questions are this:

1) Since there was a correction to the amount the contractor claims we owe (above), can the lien be defeated?

2) The lien also reads "Owner would not sign change order, rest of work complete according to contract." No change orders were submitted or signed by either of us. The house was not complete according to contract. Can this defeat the lien?

3) What can we do to get the lien removed? We just attempted to increase our existing line of credit to do landscaping and our credit was excellent and the equity is available, but we were denied the right to sign papers because of this lien.

Also, there is a 12 month warranty included in our contract. It is now July and it will be a year in September. We had to hire a structural engineer because laminate beams were installed in our house and were not spanned long enough to support the structure. The engineer states that our house will not be safe for us to live here over a period of time if it isn't fixed. We are in the process of getting a bid to have it fixed which will be paid by us but hopefully reimbursed by the orginial contractor. Time is a concern here.

Our attorney is not doing anything to get this resolved other than playing a patience game waiting for our contractor to sign the final sworn statement. I have had to do a ton of research and bring several things to his attention (e.g., the mechanics lien).

Considering all that we had to pay out of pocket that the contractor claims he paid, when doing the math, our contractor actually owes us money.

Do you have any suggestions on what we should do? We want to get this resolved so we can close on our mortgage securing a low interest rate. Most importantly, we want to get the lien removed at all possible.

I would appreciate your expertise and advise on this nightmare.

Thank you in advance.

HomeGuru

ckoeppel said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hello. My husband and I signed an agreement with our contractor on January 9, 2003. During that time he received 2 payouts, nearly $200,000, with the final payout to be paid at the time of completion. Our contract read: "The work to be perfomred under this Contract shall be commenced on or before January 11, 2003, and shall be substantially completed on or before September 1, 2003. Time is of the essence." Our house was not completed by this date -- we had to live in a hotel for nearly a month. Our contractor quit the job leaving our home incomplete according to our agreement. In fact, my husband spoke with our contractor on September 25, 2003, to ask him what was going on with the house -- it had been 2 days and no one worked in the house, was he finished, could we move in, when would the yard be at final grade as agreed? After the conclusion of his conversation, our contractor said, "I'll tell you what bud, we will get our tools tomorrow and she is all yours." He walked off the job.

Approximately 60 days after we finally moved in on September 29, several of the subs started calling us stating they were never paid. These subs were hired by our contractor and completed work during the period of the first 2 payouts. The bank froze our 3rd payout and placed it in escrow. Therefore we had to pay these subs out of pocket in order to prevent mechanics liens on the house.

We hired an attorney to help us get this resolved and later learned when trying to lock in and close on our mortgage to take advantage of the low interest rates, our contractor placed a lien on our home for the entire balance of the 3rd payout.

To make a long story short, our contractor's bookkeeping is horrible, although our records are very thorough. He submitted an unsigned final sworn contractors statement including many incorrect subcontractors and contract amounts listed. On this statement, our contractor didn't even exclude the amounts we had to pay out of pocket to the subs he claimed to have paid. Our attorney requested that he sign the final sworn contractors statement over 4 months ago and nothing has surfaced. However, every month our contractor sends a bill for the entire balance of the 3rd payout including finance charges.

Following our attorney's request for the signed final sworn contractors statement, the monthly bill sent to us by our contractor including a deduction for our cabinets which we paid out of pocket and he claims to have paid on the final sworn contractors statement.

The lien he filed against our home is for a sum of $154,172.00. Following his statement correction mentioned above, the contractor is now claiming that we owe him $148,118.93 which is still incorrect.

Referring to the Illinois Mechanics Lien Act, section 7, "No such lien shall be defeated to the proper amount thereof because of an error or overcharging on the part of any person claiming a lien therefore under this Act, unless it shall be shown that such error or overcharge is made with intent to defraud."

My questions are this:

1) Since there was a correction to the amount the contractor claims we owe (above), can the lien be defeated?
**A: yes, but when reading the statute, substitute adjusted in place of the word defeated. The amount would be adjusted not cancelled.

2) The lien also reads "Owner would not sign change order, rest of work complete according to contract." No change orders were submitted or signed by either of us. The house was not complete according to contract. Can this defeat the lien?

**A: no.

3) What can we do to get the lien removed? We just attempted to increase our existing line of credit to do landscaping and our credit was excellent and the equity is available, but we were denied the right to sign papers because of this lien.

**A: pay the amount or go to court and fight it.

Also, there is a 12 month warranty included in our contract. It is now July and it will be a year in September. We had to hire a structural engineer because laminate beams were installed in our house and were not spanned long enough to support the structure. The engineer states that our house will not be safe for us to live here over a period of time if it isn't fixed. We are in the process of getting a bid to have it fixed which will be paid by us but hopefully reimbursed by the orginial contractor. Time is a concern here.

**A: then that may be a cause of action at the lien hearing.

Our attorney is not doing anything to get this resolved other than playing a patience game waiting for our contractor to sign the final sworn statement. I have had to do a ton of research and bring several things to his attention (e.g., the mechanics lien).

**A: then fire his/her butt.
Considering all that we had to pay out of pocket that the contractor claims he paid, when doing the math, our contractor actually owes us money.

**A: ok.
Do you have any suggestions on what we should do? We want to get this resolved so we can close on our mortgage securing a low interest rate. Most importantly, we want to get the lien removed at all possible.

**A: first off, hire a better attorney. Yours sucks.
I would appreciate your expertise and advise on this nightmare.

**A: thanks.
Thank you in advance.
**A: you are welcome.

ckoeppel

Filing Suit

Posting from Illinois

Through my research I have learned that if a mechanics lien is recorded, the contractor has two years from completing their work to actually file something in court. If that happens, we would get a summons and go from there.

From what I understand, we could wait to see if the contractor files suit within the two year limit and if he doesn't, he loses his lien. However, if we don't feel like waiting, we can make a formal demand that the contractor either sues us or release his lien. According to my research, if he doesn't sue within 30 days of getting that written demand, the lien is lost.

We have discussed "us" filing suit against the contractor with our attorney, but is what I mentioned above an option? Considering our contractor's previous lack of response, I just assume he might not do anything in 30 days since he hasn't over the course of this past year and we would have a chance of removing the lien. Or, do you believe we would be better off proceeding with filing suit against him?

I appreciate your advice.

HomeGuru

ckoeppel said:
Posting from Illinois

Through my research I have learned that if a mechanics lien is recorded, the contractor has two years from completing their work to actually file something in court. If that happens, we would get a summons and go from there.

From what I understand, we could wait to see if the contractor files suit within the two year limit and if he doesn't, he loses his lien. However, if we don't feel like waiting, we can make a formal demand that the contractor either sues us or release his lien. According to my research, if he doesn't sue within 30 days of getting that written demand, the lien is lost.

We have discussed "us" filing suit against the contractor with our attorney, but is what I mentioned above an option?

**A: no, you want the matter settled now, not 2-5 years from now.
Considering our contractor's previous lack of response, I just assume he might not do anything in 30 days since he hasn't over the course of this past year and we would have a chance of removing the lien. Or, do you believe we would be better off proceeding with filing suit against him?

I appreciate your advice.
**A: hire a new attorney and sue.

ckoeppel

I appreciate your advice and decided that is the path we need to take. From what I originally told you, do you believe we have a strong case when we do file suit? The fear of the unknown is somewhat haunting.

HomeGuru

ckoeppel said:
I appreciate your advice and decided that is the path we need to take. From what I originally told you, do you believe we have a strong case when we do file suit? The fear of the unknown is somewhat haunting.
**A: I don't know since I would need to review all contracts, change orders, accounting etc.

ckoeppel

Thanks. I can understand your position on stating our outcome.

I spoke with my attorney yesterday and when he talked about filing suit against our contractor, he said he envisions a claim that asks for damages for repairs of the substandard work and a claim that the lien should be extinguished because he has filed a claim that he knows to be false. Our attorney believes that as adverse as our contractor seems to be to litigation and dealing with the claim, he might settle the matter.

Do you think his approach sounds reasonable?

Thank you for your time.

HomeGuru

ckoeppel said:
Thanks. I can understand your position on stating our outcome.

I spoke with my attorney yesterday and when he talked about filing suit against our contractor, he said he envisions a claim that asks for damages for repairs of the substandard work and a claim that the lien should be extinguished because he has filed a claim that he knows to be false. Our attorney believes that as adverse as our contractor seems to be to litigation and dealing with the claim, he might settle the matter.

Do you think his approach sounds reasonable?

Thank you for your time.
**A: yes and also threaten to file a complaint with the state contractor's license board and BBB if he does not settle.

ckoeppel

Update and Question

I am writing from the state of Illinois.

Our 30-day Notice and Demand was sent out to our contractor on July 19th. If our contractor should decide to remove the lien from our property, how long will it take before it is actually removed. Will it be removed instantly or will take a matter of several days?

Thanks for your help.

HomeGuru

ckoeppel said:

Our 30-day Notice and Demand was sent out to our contractor on July 19th. If our contractor should decide to remove the lien from our property, how long will it take before it is actually removed. Will it be removed instantly or will take a matter of several days?

Thanks for your help.

**A: it may take 30-45 days. You can't just get a lien removal kit from 7-11.

ckoeppel

Lien Removal

Illinois.

Thanks. I didn't think it was an instant removal (or a kit you can get at a 7-11), but I wasn't sure how long it took. Just curious. Please excuse my ignorance on this subject.

ckoeppel

Under the Section 34 of the Illinois Mechanics' Lien Act, we filed a 30-day Notice and Demand on July 19 demanding that our contractor commence suit to enforce our mechanic's lien against our premises. If he didn't do anything within the 30 days, the lien would dissolve. Of course, he filed a complaint on August 18th - one day before the end of the 30 days.

My attorney told me that we I will be receiving a summons soon if they enforce the complaint. He said once I receive the summons, I am to let him know immediately because he has 30 days to respond.

Question -- If I do receive a summons and my attorney responds in 30 days, what happens next? Does this mean we are being sued and we have the option of filing a countersuit?

Is there a possibility that they won't enforce the complaint and I won't receive a summons? If so, what will happen then?

My attorney said that he would request a signed verified contractors statement which we have requested at least 3 times in the past year. Since there was such a discrepancy in our contractors figures, my attorney wants our contractor to sign off on the figures that he indicates are correct.

Question -- What if my attorney requests this signed verified contractors statements in his 30 day response if a complaint is filed and our contractor does nothing, then what would or could occur?

Please ease my mind in some way. I just received the bad news this afternoon.

Thanks!

HomeGuru

ckoeppel said:

Under the Section 34 of the Illinois Mechanics' Lien Act, we filed a 30-day Notice and Demand on July 19 demanding that our contractor commence suit to enforce our mechanic's lien against our premises. If he didn't do anything within the 30 days, the lien would dissolve. Of course, he filed a complaint on August 18th - one day before the end of the 30 days.

My attorney told me that we I will be receiving a summons soon if they enforce the complaint. He said once I receive the summons, I am to let him know immediately because he has 30 days to respond.

Question -- If I do receive a summons and my attorney responds in 30 days, what happens next? Does this mean we are being sued and we have the option of filing a countersuit?

Is there a possibility that they won't enforce the complaint and I won't receive a summons? If so, what will happen then?

My attorney said that he would request a signed verified contractors statement which we have requested at least 3 times in the past year. Since there was such a discrepancy in our contractors figures, my attorney wants our contractor to sign off on the figures that he indicates are correct.

Question -- What if my attorney requests this signed verified contractors statements in his 30 day response if a complaint is filed and our contractor does nothing, then what would or could occur?

Please ease my mind in some way. I just received the bad news this afternoon.

Thanks!
**A: please pose your specific questions to your attorney as he/she should be able to respond.

Trudijane

NEW - Contractor threatened to put a lien on my home after stopping payment of a chec

Hi,

This relates to the subject. I wanted to create a new post, but didn't know how.

My contractor and I had a verbal contract (because we are also friendly) for a small bathroom remodeling project. I paid him in advance for the majority of the work and promised him $200+ dollars after the countertops were put in. I paid him that and then some. After what I believed to be full payment (and the job was incomplete), he came back to my house and asked for $53 in material costs which was the first time I heard about ANY material costs over a 3-month time span. I asked him to take the $53 out of the money that I just paid him as I paid him a generous amount. He said he could not do that. I never even saw any kind of receipt for any materials for anything.

I was upset with this additional request, and since he does not do reimbursements, I decided to stop payment on the $350 check that I gave him because I no longer felt comfortable paying for things in advance and then having to wait weeks for each little thing to be done. I told him about stopping the check the next day and told him that when he completed the work (which was to assess a leak in one of the sinks + hanging up 2 mirrors) that I would then pay him the same amount upon completion. He took this VERY personally and then said he had no choice but to put a lien on my home for doing that even when he knew that he would be paid AFTER he completed what he promised. It, indeed, was the only way I could get his attention and it sure did. I didn't even know a contractor could do that, especially since we had a 100% verbal agreement which changed as the job went on due to problems with the orders which he approved and they turned out to be wrong.

We have resolved this in the sense that he is coming back to complete the job and in turn I will repay him the money I stopped and let him keep his $53 - just to get this over with. I actually had wanted someone else to finish the job so I could just pay him what I promised him and then hire someone else to finish. I thought that his threat was unfounded especially when he knew that my intent was to pay upon completion of the job which was taking months and months.

Without any contract, can he do something like that over $200? The job was incomplete plus I felt that I had overpaid him after he asked me for money for supplies that I never saw him buy or received any receipt for.

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">