• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor issue / Flat Roof Leak

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Datagg

Hello,

I discovered a leak in a flat roof last week. The work was done 6 years ago. Looking on roof I see there was no felt paper put down which contract stated would be done and the job just looks not to be done right at all. I have called several times where the first time he was surprised there was no paper and immediately said he would stop by later. That was a no show and every call after that has not been returned completely ignoring this. Can I legally go after this contractor after 6 years. This issue resides in AZ. Thanks

Datagg

Hello,

I discovered a leak in a flat roof last week. The work was done 6 years ago. Looking on roof I see there was no felt paper put down which contract stated would be done and the job just looks not to be done right at all. I have called several times where the first time he was surprised there was no paper and immediately said he would stop by later. That was a no show and every call after that has not been returned completely ignoring this. Can I legally go after this contractor after 6 years. This issue resides in AZ. Thanks
Anybody have any advice?.. Suggestions? - This contractor is completely ignoring me. Anyone?

STEPHAN

Was it a fully flat roof? Those usually do not last more than 7 years.

My roofers always replace them with newer ones that have some slope.

Was the work permitted and inspected by the city?

Datagg

Was it a fully flat roof? Those usually do not last more than 7 years.

My roofers always replace them with newer ones that have some slope.

Was the work permitted and inspected by the city?
Hi Stephen thank you for your reply. yes it a flat roof. Yet they didn't lap the system to give a slight slope. The job was given a permit which was posted, yet no inspection when complete. My neighbor had his done by the same contractor and looks great. Matter of fact my neighbor climbed up and took a look and said it looks like they just painted right over the plywood and there was no tar paper at all. The entire thing is just chipping and peeling everywhere. I look at the contract and its listed to have 30# felt, yet there is none there. i don't know how it went this long to notice the leak. We live in AZ, so we don't get much rain for long periods so it took its good ole time to show i suppose. Anyways, we called the contractor who ignores each call. My neighbor also called and he answered and neighbor said there was no tar paper up there and he was surprised and said he would be out later that afternoon. Never showed up. i called, no return call. He is absolutely ignoring this situation and frankly im surprised as he seemed like such a great guy. Nonetheless on all principals he doesn't deserve (as no one should) to get away with not doing what was supposed to be done. To making it worse by not even returning a call and even further lying about coming out and looking at it.

So im looking for options on what i should do. i have taken many images, have copies of contract stating work that was paid for including 30# felt which is absolutely not there. The only thing that makes this tough is its been almost 6 years now. I trusted work was done right, I didn't see issues as i live in a state that don't get much rain so this was not seen until i began to see some mold under the overhang. What would you do in this case?... Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">