• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

longbay

What is the name of your state? Missouri. We recently started a company my husband has been in the painting industry for years and one of the builders he worked for as an employee has been having him paint his new residential homes as a subcontractor. This builder is very controlling and seems to think that we owe him because a very long time ago he gave my husband a break. When he contacted us about painting his homes we gave him a break on 3 of them discounting the rate we charge. We are now on the 5 home and he was fine on the 4th with the price increase. We recieved full payment on the 4 th home but now i've turned in the final bill for the 5th home and he says he is going to hold out a bill from another group of painter's that had to go to the 4th house and fix some of the painting work . Well the work he is specifying is repairs that needed to be done after other cont's putting ding in the walls and the homeowners deciding to change some of the colors . I advised him if he did not turn in the bill for this other home then i would file a lien he then said when he recieves the bill from the other painter's he is going to minus that expense from the amount due to us on the other home. Can he do that or do We have any rights?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

longbay said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri. We recently started a company my husband has been in the painting industry for years and one of the builders he worked for as an employee has been having him paint his new residential homes as a subcontractor. This builder is very controlling and seems to think that we owe him because a very long time ago he gave my husband a break. When he contacted us about painting his homes we gave him a break on 3 of them discounting the rate we charge. We are now on the 5 home and he was fine on the 4th with the price increase. We recieved full payment on the 4 th home but now i've turned in the final bill for the 5th home and he says he is going to hold out a bill from another group of painter's that had to go to the 4th house and fix some of the painting work . Well the work he is specifying is repairs that needed to be done after other cont's putting ding in the walls and the homeowners deciding to change some of the colors . I advised him if he did not turn in the bill for this other home then i would file a lien he then said when he recieves the bill from the other painter's he is going to minus that expense from the amount due to us on the other home. Can he do that or do We have any rights?

My response:

You posted to the wrong forum.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">