• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor liability insurance, fake business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schwippsy

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

Hi, I ended up with a terrible contractor to remodel my kitchen, after 5 months remodeling which was supposed to take no longer than 3 weeks, we are getting close to completion. In between that contractor disappeared, came with all unfounded threats when he had a bad day. When I could not make time for him after he came back from a 4 weeks vacation to come to complete the job 4 days ago, he threatened to have his lawyer send me a letter with a lien on my house.
Can he do that, if we both have not signed of that the job is completed/contract fulfilled?
2 days ago he was supposed to return, somehow I had a bad feeling about it and checked his status on his liablity insurance. The insurance agent told me that the policy is not active any more and he is therefore not insured with them. Making further checks, his company "G. C. Enterprise Inc." does not even exist in the secretary of state database. I called the appointment off, because I am afraid he will try to hurt himself on purpose on my property to be able to sue me. He said we will meet in court. He seems to be the kinda guy that makes money that way.
I am willing to give him a last payment for the work he has done so far, but do not want him to come back to my house and screw up more.
Can I terminate the contract? What are my options/rights?
Thank you for yur help!

Last edited:

P

Peety

A contractor does not need to hire a lawyer to place a lein on your house.

Your contract should have a time period in it stating:
a starting date .... and .... a completion date.

Most people who wind up with issues, starts having trouble with time issues (too early, too late, too long, etc.). Then things escalate from there.

Home owners, customers please.....
Don't be in such a hurry to sign the contract. Read it. All of it. BEFORE you sign it. Make sure there are stipulations regarding an appropriate time period, and what will happen if delays occurr; if the contractor causes delay then ..... if home owner causes delay then ..... and so on. The contract is there to protect you, and the contractor. Don't be afraid to ask that a clause be added prior to signing the document. Don't be afraid to have a lawyer peruse the contract prior to signing it.

When I was a contractor, it was not out of the ordinary for me to draft a six to ten page contract. BUT ~ all print was easily legible, all clauses were read and initialed prior to signing, if the customer asked any question that was not already included, a clause covering that issue was written into the contract (by hand) right then and initialed by myself and the customer. Bottom line was that they knew exactly what to expect, and what would happen if their expectations were not met.

Rule of thumb: If you have any question in mind concerning the agreement you're entering into, there should be a clause covering that issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">