• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flhomeowner

What is the name of your state?
Florida

I contracted with a local Contractor and his partner, they used their first initials as the name of the business, to do some repairs and drywall work at a home I had just bought.

I paid all draws as per the agreement. They had several items on a punchlist that was developed by both the contractors and I. We all agreed that the items on the list needed to be completed before the final draw was made.

One of the partners called me and said he was no longer in the partnership, and that unless I paid him the final draw he was placing a mechanics lien agianst my property.

The other partner has since completed all of the work agreed to and I have paid him for all work and closed the contract. I contacted the subs that were used and they notified me that they had been paid.

I have since recieved a notice of lien filed by the contractor that left the partnership.

Is this legal, and what would be my next step in resolving the issue.

HomeGuru

flhomeowner said:
What is the name of your state?
Florida

I contracted with a local Contractor and his partner, they used their first initials as the name of the business, to do some repairs and drywall work at a home I had just bought.

I paid all draws as per the agreement. They had several items on a punchlist that was developed by both the contractors and I. We all agreed that the items on the list needed to be completed before the final draw was made.

One of the partners called me and said he was no longer in the partnership, and that unless I paid him the final draw he was placing a mechanics lien agianst my property.

The other partner has since completed all of the work agreed to and I have paid him for all work and closed the contract. I contacted the subs that were used and they notified me that they had been paid.

I have since recieved a notice of lien filed by the contractor that left the partnership.

Is this legal, and what would be my next step in resolving the issue.
**A: is what legal? Receiving a lien notice?

F

flhomeowner

Can one of the partners/contractors place a mechanics lien claiming they are a sub-contractor.

HomeGuru

flhomeowner said:
Can one of the partners/contractors place a mechanics lien claiming they are a sub-contractor.
**A: yes, it is entirely possible but the contractor must prove that he really is a sub.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">