• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor ran out on us and lied.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bulldoglover

What is the name of your state? California

We were referred to a "General Contractor" who we later found out does not even have his license and he screwed us over big time. He only finished 1/2 of the job and took 90% of the money! We have a message he left on our answering machine saying he spend the money we gave him for carpet installation on his private mortgage! Yes, it is our fault too for trusting him (he was my uncles best friend), when he said he needed funds we gave it to him and did not keep track of how much we gave him until it was too late. He abondoned the jobsite for 3 months straight and we had to constantly leave messages for him to call us back, one excuse after another, then he said was working on another project and for us to wait until he was done with it (which would be 3 more months). Our building permit expired and we had to get two extensions and finally hired someone else to come and finish the job when he would not call us back.

My question is, what is our legal recourse to this? Can we recover money from him for work he did not do (plus the fact that the work he did do was awful and later found out that he had drunk sub-contractors on the job which is why it looks like crap)? He has also run out on other clients as well (our neighbors, we later found out). I want this guy to go to jail for fraud! He gives contractors a bad name. And this is just the tip of the iceberg with this guy.

Please help.

HomeGuru

bulldoglover said:
What is the name of your state? California

We were referred to a "General Contractor" who we later found out does not even have his license and he screwed us over big time. He only finished 1/2 of the job and took 90% of the money! We have a message he left on our answering machine saying he spend the money we gave him for carpet installation on his private mortgage! Yes, it is our fault too for trusting him (he was my uncles best friend), when he said he needed funds we gave it to him and did not keep track of how much we gave him until it was too late. He abondoned the jobsite for 3 months straight and we had to constantly leave messages for him to call us back, one excuse after another, then he said was working on another project and for us to wait until he was done with it (which would be 3 more months). Our building permit expired and we had to get two extensions and finally hired someone else to come and finish the job when he would not call us back.

My question is, what is our legal recourse to this? Can we recover money from him for work he did not do (plus the fact that the work he did do was awful and later found out that he had drunk sub-contractors on the job which is why it looks like crap)? He has also run out on other clients as well (our neighbors, we later found out). I want this guy to go to jail for fraud! He gives contractors a bad name. And this is just the tip of the iceberg with this guy.

Please help.
**A: how much money are you out?

B

bulldoglover

You asked: How much are you out?

About $25,000 to $30,000 (paid him $75,000).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">