• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the contractor responsible and to what extent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LROZE

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am a general contractor building a room addition/remodel on an existing home. We have built the addition per architectural plans using the materials specified on the print. The vaulted ceiling is not leaking from outside elements, but is leaking from condinsation in the room or the materials used to build the job. The homeowner has requested that we tear off the roof, repair or replace any damaged areas from moisture and then replace the vaulted ceiling with a new material the architect is now specifying. We are working under an A.I.A. contract in which it appears the architect is held harmless with all of this. The homeowner is expecting us to do all this work at our cost. Then the homeowner wants us to guarentee that the repair will not leak from condensation. What are our options? We are a reputable company who has always made our customer's happy. Do I need to bring in an engineer or additional architect or lawyer to assist us? How do I know that the new material speced will not hold moisture too and leak? I have built this job per plan. There is nothing wrong with the construction or roof.

Last edited:

Buk1000

leaks

I'm in OK
I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Sounds like you're trying to resolve this which is very good. Obviously there is a water/moisture problem, and that is unacceptable. It seems the best thing to do is to bring in a competent unbiased expert to find the cause so you can fix it once and for all, and so that you'll know how to avoid it in the future. Some building materials used today, despite being touted as better replacements for tried and true methods, are just junk or are incompatible with something else, or don't work in certain climates. Try the folks at http://www.jlconline.com or http://www.buildingscience.com

lwpat

but is leaking from condinsation in the room or the materials used to build the job.
You need to bring in someone to determine the cause of the problem. It sounds like even with the new material the situation may reappear. Once you know the problem then consult with a construction attorney with regards to who pays what.

It sounds like the homeowner is getting stuck if he is to pay the cost of the repairs even if you do not include any profit. Or did you mean "at our expense"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">