• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contractor scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dalbert

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania
Contractor took $2,300 deposit & left area w/o doing any work. Discovered that that he has a $69,000 lien against a customer in this area. Can I file a lien against his lien? What is best course of action against a scam artist who takes money & commits fraud by failing to perform work as promised?

HomeGuru

dalbert said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Pennsylvania
Contractor took $2,300 deposit & left area w/o doing any work. Discovered that that he has a $69,000 lien against a customer in this area. Can I file a lien against his lien? What is best course of action against a scam artist who takes money & commits fraud by failing to perform work as promised?
**A: contact your state consumer protection office. The same office that you should have called before doing biz with him.

JETX

dalbert said:
Contractor took $2,300 deposit & left area w/o doing any work. Discovered that that he has a $69,000 lien against a customer in this area. Can I file a lien against his lien?
Yes..... and no.
You have no inherent 'lien rights' to file any lien. However, you could file a lawsuit against the contractor, and if you get a judgment, you could place a judgment lien against him. Further, you could request a 'turnover order' from the court instructing your judgment be paid upon recovery of the other lien.

What is best course of action against a scam artist who takes money & commits fraud by failing to perform work as promised?
Lots of things could have helped to protect you and others. Things like:
- How long has the contractor been in business??... and verify the answer!!
- Is the contractor phone and address listed in the phone book?
- Is he licensed (where required)? VERIFY!!
- Does he have insurance?? Get a copy of his policy!
- Is he bonded?? Get a copy!!
- Get at least three referrals and call them!!

lwpat

Does he have insurance?? Get a copy of his policy!
Have the policy issued to you and have yourself added as an additional insured with notice if policy is cancelled.

Is he bonded?? Get a copy!!
Most bonds have to be issued for a specific project. I have seen contractors who advertised that they are licensed and bonded and can even produce the authentic fake documentation.

Most importantly have a written contract that has been reviewed by your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">