• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor taking too long!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Haven2448

What is the name of your state? California

I contracted a carpet/tile company to install granite countertops and tile backslpash in my kitchen (average 10 x 10). The contract stated the job would take 6 - 8 weeks; however, we are now in the 13th week and the countertops were barely installed 1 week ago and the tile has not been installed.

The contractors have repeatedly failed to show up for appointments they made with me to complete the job - citing someone called in sick, or their installer is MIA, etc. The tile order was wrong so they had to re-order it adding another week. I have taken several days off work... and hound them constantly as they don't follow up with me.

MY QUESTION IS: I already paid 1/2 of the job, and with all that has happened I feel I deserve a discount of at least 25%, so I'm willing to only pay 50% of the remaining balance. I'm planning on giving the contractor an ultilmatum once the job is done: I pay only half of what I owe, or I take them to small claims court. Do you think this is the right approach? Or should I go directly to small claims court? Do you think this is a solid case for small claims court and I have a chance of winning?

Thanks for your help!

H

hexeliebe

What does your contract state regarding failure to perform the job within the specified 6 to 8 weeks? Or do you have such a contract clause?

H

Haven2448

Hi, thanks for your time!

My contract does not say anything about a specified time period. The guy handwrote on the contract 6 - 8 weeks...

HomeGuru

Haven2448 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I contracted a carpet/tile company to install granite countertops and tile backslpash in my kitchen (average 10 x 10). The contract stated the job would take 6 - 8 weeks; however, we are now in the 13th week and the countertops were barely installed 1 week ago and the tile has not been installed.

The contractors have repeatedly failed to show up for appointments they made with me to complete the job - citing someone called in sick, or their installer is MIA, etc. The tile order was wrong so they had to re-order it adding another week. I have taken several days off work... and hound them constantly as they don't follow up with me.

MY QUESTION IS: I already paid 1/2 of the job, and with all that has happened I feel I deserve a discount of at least 25%, so I'm willing to only pay 50% of the remaining balance. I'm planning on giving the contractor an ultilmatum once the job is done: I pay only half of what I owe, or I take them to small claims court. Do you think this is the right approach? Or should I go directly to small claims court? Do you think this is a solid case for small claims court and I have a chance of winning?

Thanks for your help!
**A: you need to put the contractor on notice now.

H

Haven2448

If I put the contractor on notice now before the job is done, I'm afraid he won't finish the job... I just want a $500 discount - I think it's only fair for the times I've taken off of work when they didn't show up... If I put him on notice, do you recommend I do it in writing... or show up to the place and try to talk to him?

Thanks again.

lwpat

"If I put him on notice, do you recommend I do it in writing"

It needs to be in writing and sent CRRR.

HomeGuru

Haven2448 said:
If I put the contractor on notice now before the job is done, I'm afraid he won't finish the job... I just want a $500 discount - I think it's only fair for the times I've taken off of work when they didn't show up... If I put him on notice, do you recommend I do it in writing... or show up to the place and try to talk to him?

Thanks again.
**A: the notice I meant was a demand notice to complete the job by a specified date or be in default. And not that you would deduct money from his pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">