• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contractor's "right to lien" notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scamp

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I hired a contractor here in Oregon to do a major remodel on our home back in August 2004. Now that we are basically out of money the contractor just yesterday gives me a "right to lien" notice and back dates it to August 2004. I was never given this notice with our original contract (which mentions nothing about this either). Can he legally do this? Can he actually put a lien on our property at this point? The only money we still owe him is his "15% contractors fee" which we feel needs to be reduce for damages to our property caused by his workers, and promised repairs for poor concrete work which was never done.

S

seniorjudge

I know nothing about Oregon law.

Mechanic's lien law in most jurisdictions (I hear) is extremely complicated and time sensitive.

You need to get to a real estate attorney as soon as possible. You may possibly be waiving some of your rights if you do not find out what they are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">