• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

covenants/dispute with neighbor over remodel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

columbuslady

What is the name of your state? Washington
Have building permits and homeowner's board has approved my remodel twice.
My neighbor has hired an attorney to stop my remodel
Have spent considerable amout, architect, permits, closing costs, and now attorney fees.
If I start the remodel can my neighber get an injunction to stop me.
I have followed the convenants re approval by board (twice)
nowhere do they state that I need neighbors approval in addition to the boards
but they state that in a neighbor against neighbor dispute we must negoiate, mediate and the arbitrate.
Have met with board, boards attorney and neighbors.
boards attorney suggests we resubmit our plans for a third time and bring in our architect to explain how our plan fits in the with neighborhood, at our additional cost, and that that decision would be final no recourse for either party

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Neighbor's reasons to stop remodel
Home lossing value because they are lossing a peekaboo view of the mountains from one bedroom
being descriminated against
were not informed of remodel (they were)
stated that they would not be able to see fire hydrant or neighbors rose bushes
anytime anyone got pregnant they would want to add on

Last edited:

JETX

"If I start the remodel can my neighber get an injunction to stop me."
*** Since no one on this forum knows what his reasons would be, we can't answer if he woudl get one or not. Suffice to say, if you are in compliance with all zoning, restrictions, Codes, etc., I would doubt that his request for injunctive relief would be granted.

C

columbuslady

thank you for your response
I have edited my post to include neighbors objections
My attorney thinks it is a nuisance suit but seems concerned about the convenants re disputes.

lwpat

I think you attorney is more concerned about a continuance of his fees. If you have all the approvals then proceed. Lawsuits like this are simply nuisance. If she files then counterclaim for attorney fees, additional costs of construction due to lost time, and anything else you can think of. When she realizes it may actually cost her instead of you she will probably go away to her happy place.

NOTICE- The author of this post is not an attorney. The
information presented here is the result of the authors
research and thirty years experience in the legal codes,
cases and practices of the States of North and South Carolina,
and the county in which author resides and is for general
information only. Be advised the legal codes, cases, and
practices of any other state or county could vary greatly.
If you need legal advice contact an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">