• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer Won't Pay Up!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BustYa

British Columbia, Canada.

I am the general contractor of a 2 month contract to construct a restaurnt. Throughout the entire process, the customer continually asked for extra work and insisted that the prices be negotiated at the end of the job. The original contract included the framing/drywall, countertops, floor tiles, elecrical, and plumbing. Extras were cabinets, retaining walls, and wall tiles.

The elecrical was subcontracted out. In my original contract, I had a set amount of $7000 to be used for the elecrical work. When the elecriacal was being done, the customer insisted that he wanted extra lighting to be done and that he was willing to pay extra. But before the elecrical was finished (main power hookup), the elecritian insisted payment for the extra work, but the customer declined. Thus, we now have a stale-mate.

Now I have an unfinished job because I can't get the final inspection done without the main elecricity hooked up. The customer doesn't want to pay any extra for the additional work, thus there is no more money to go to the main elecrial hook up.

What should I do here? There is still another $10000 that the customer owes me from the original contract and an additional $4000 for the extra work.

I have been doing this for less than a year and any help would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks

John Se

sounds like you hold the cards

seems like he cant go into business till he pays up and you can finish up the electrical. seems like he would be motivated. What does your contract say about change orders? Often it is customary to negotiate and pay change orders up front.

JETX

John Se said:
seems like he cant go into business till he pays up and you can finish up the electrical. seems like he would be motivated. What does your contract say about change orders? Often it is customary to negotiate and pay change orders up front.
And EXACTLY what expertise do you have in Canadian or international law?? If none, then IGNORE this persons 'advice'.

JETX

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
Hey JetX - -

Have you noticed who is conspicuously missing?

Does "ursoBUSTED" ring any bells?

IAAL
Yep. I also talked with Mike today.... wonder when 'urso' will be back.

BustYa

John Se said:
Thanks for your reply.

I'm sure that Canadian and American laws regarding constuction contracts are similar.

The mistake that I made, and will never make again, is not including a "change orders" statement in the contract.

That's why i'm in this sticky situation. He insisted to that prices for the extra work will be negotated after everything was completed, I assumed because the price would reflect the finished quality.

But my real problem is the elecrical. Due to the extra elecrical work that he insisted get done, there is no more money in the elecrical budget to complete the main hook up.

I don't feel that I should have to pay for the hook up, even though it was in the original contract because he has not payed for the extra elecrical lighting already completed.

I have never been to court before, so could someone please tell me the first steps to filing a claim, or is court even necessary?

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BustYa said:
Thanks for your reply.

I'm sure that Canadian and American laws regarding constuction contracts are similar.

MY RESPONSE: Really? On what basis do you make that statement of fact?

I have never been to court before, so could someone please tell me the first steps to filing a claim, or is court even necessary?

MY RESPONSE:

How do you expect us to help you? This is an American site, not a Canadian site.

Did you even bother to read that this site is "U.S. LAW ONLY"? Did that have any meaning for you? Did that give you any clues?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">