• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deadbeat Builder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mike9691

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I recently spent $30K on a brand new retaining wall and driveway. I paid the the builder to remove my old retaining wall and driveway and replace it with a new allen block wall and driveway. As we made our way through this job, I noticed my builder had plenty of lies along the way. He finally completed the job and had some loose ends to follow-up with. He also broke my hose reel and stole my wheel barrow along the way. After repeated phone calls, he never showed up to complete the job or call me back. I paid the builder and had no contract(s) with any of the suppliers he used. After all said and done. I recieved in the mail (certified) a $3,000 lien on my property from the stone company that supplied the block as they were never paid by my builder. I am finding out that the law in Ga. does state they can do this. My questions is: How do I go after my builder? My other questions is this?

How enforceable is this lien, can they foreclose on it?

I found out the stone company came by our house to get an address from the builder in which my wife gave them. They extended this builder $3,000 worth of credit and never verified an address, never did a credit check, nothing. They gave him this credit on his word that he would be back in two days to pay them. He never came back so they filed a lien on my property. Is there negligence on the stone company here for not even going to the effort to check this guy out? I feel they are taking the easy road here and overcoming thier mistake by placing a lien on my propoerty. By the way, I paid all funds to the builder assuming :mad: he would pay his contractors. Please help, I feel I have a case against this lien.

Also, I have filed a warrant for the builder on the stolen wheel barrow. If I have to pay the lien, I will go after him here as well.

Thanks Mike

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">