• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunshyn63

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I recently had a flood in my basement. I had a contractor install a new furnace. He was paid in full for that job. While he was there, I received an estimate from another company for removal of debris. The furnace contractor said he could help me out and line up some guys to remove the debris (including carpet and panel) for $10-12.00 per man hour. I told him to go ahead and line up the guys. There were 2 men who worked for 8 hours and one additional man who worked for 3-4 hours. When I asked what I owed, I was told $2,000.00. I was STUNNED. This was not what was agreed upon. I told the guy that that was not what we agreed upon and that was over $1500.00 more than what I had anticipated. There was no written estimate or agreement and I think the man is now scamming me (a woman and single parent) since he knew I had insurance money from the flood. He is now threatening to place a lien on my home. Can this be done and how so since what he is wanting me to pay is not what I had agreed to?What is the name of your state?

BL

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I recently had a flood in my basement. I had a contractor install a new furnace. He was paid in full for that job. While he was there, I received an estimate from another company for removal of debris. The furnace contractor said he could help me out and line up some guys to remove the debris (including carpet and panel) for $10-12.00 per man hour. I told him to go ahead and line up the guys. There were 2 men who worked for 8 hours and one additional man who worked for 3-4 hours. When I asked what I owed, I was told $2,000.00. I was STUNNED. This was not what was agreed upon. I told the guy that that was not what we agreed upon and that was over $1500.00 more than what I had anticipated. There was no written estimate or agreement and I think the man is now scamming me (a woman and single parent) since he knew I had insurance money from the flood. He is now threatening to place a lien on my home. Can this be done and how so since what he is wanting me to pay is not what I had agreed to?What is the name of your state?
Was his communication in writing ?

Either way answer in a letter ( keep a copy ) , send it RRR Certified mail .

Keep the receipt of delivery if they accept it , or the unopened certified letter , if returned to you .

Make all your communications in writing . If they call , tell them to communicate to you in writing .

In your letter state the facts as you recall them , and offer the higher of the hourly wages - $12.00 per hr. for X amount of hrs . = _________ .

Advise them to reply within 7 business days in writing .

If you must , consult an attorney for a small fee . Look into your local bar association to see if thy have an attorney referral service .

You might want to try e-mailing a few local Attorneys , and be brief , and ask your question , and ask them to respond as a courtesy .

sunshyn63

Thank You

Thank you for your response to my question about the verbal agreement for a basement clean up. While I was given a written estimate and invoice for the furnace (which was paid in full that same day), I was not given an estimate for the basement clean up. Actually, I really didn't think to ask for one since he was a furnace tech who I felt was simply trying to help me out.
I have a letter written. That was good advice. I really didn't know what to do since I have never been in a position like this before.

BL

Thank you for your response to my question about the verbal agreement for a basement clean up. While I was given a written estimate and invoice for the furnace (which was paid in full that same day), I was not given an estimate for the basement clean up. Actually, I really didn't think to ask for one since he was a furnace tech who I felt was simply trying to help me out.
I have a letter written. That was good advice. I really didn't know what to do since I have never been in a position like this before.
Here's the deal .

He said he could set you up with some guys to do some cleanup .

Good , now he's out of the picture according to you , in that you were to pay each person X amount of money per X amount of hrs .

You owe person , 1,2,and 3 .

Before he can get a lien put on your home , he'd have to file a lawsuit against you and win a Judgment ( that you could show up and argue it ) .

Unless the court let's him claim he was an agent for the cleanup people , he won't win .

# 2 , the court will award what is reasonable , and I bet the amount you state is reasonable .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">