• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disputing A Mechanics Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vegasaudioguy

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Hello,

In an attempt to make a very long story brief, I will start by stating that a carpet installation/sales company sent me a notice of its intent to file a Mechanics Lien Statute NRS 108.222. They claim I owe them $147.00, since they had to return to my residence to finish the install job they had started. The problem is that I signed a invoice to pay them $1463, $800 of which I paid as a deposit, and the remainder $663, I paid to the installer the day he came out to install the carpet on the first visit. When the installer was complete on the 1st visit, my doorways were not tacked down, and he said he had to come back to finish, and that his office would call to reschedule. The problem is that the installer was hispanic and spoke very little english, and I do not speak any spanish, so in processing what he was trying to tell me, I interpreted his departure as he did not have the intems he needed to finish the job that day. Several days past and I had heard nothing about scheduling a return, so I called them and setup an appoitment to finish the job. The installer came back out to finsih the job, and as he was getting ready to leave he handed me his cell phone, and the lady who is in charge of accounts receivable for them, tells me that I have to pay him $147.00 for coming back out. Well being that I had never been informed of this amount, let alone the fact that I was never told or even a mention about additional charges, I told her that this was the first I had heard of additional charges, and that I would not pay it, at which point the installer left. Approximately 5 days later, I receive the notice certified mail that this company was in 15 days file a mechanics lien on my home unless I pay the money. A letter that proclaims that I am "seriously overdue" on the outstanding balance of $147.00, a claim that comes from a letter typed only 2 days after the first time I was made aware of the $147.00. Wow a seriously overdue account after 2 days????? To wrap this up, I have called the lady that wrote me the letter almost every day for the past week, trying to get information on this, such as, actually obtaining a bill or invoice for the $147.00, as I have nothing that even shows this charge, but she just talks around every question, and I still have received no bill/invoice/contract etc. She also claims that I was told on several occassions about the charge, but will not say whom had told me this. I am confused, frustrated, and on several occassion wondered the worth in just paying the money to get the hassle out of my life. But I feel as I am being scammed, and I must fight this to feel moraly correct about it. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas. I send my thanks in advance for any advice given.

Thanks,

Michael Wenning

dogstooth

Mike....this wasn't even worth the time you spent to type it up. Go tell her to pound sand. Let them file a mechanics lien for $147, actually tell them just to file suit. The lien is only good for @180 days then they'll either have to drop it or file suit. They won't do it since its disputed.

My builder left me with $83,000 worth of liens on my house. I couldn't even find a attorney because every one of them in the county was already sue'ing me already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">