• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do we need permits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mrs. Henderson

What is the name of your state? CA

I live in a 7 unit townhome. There is dry rot damage to the common wall surrounding Unit 1 that has caused the floor in their dining room to sink 2 inches. We (the HOA) are working on getting bids from contractors to do repair work. Do we need permits for repairs to the existing structure? We have a quote from one contractor who says permits will be our responsibility (he'll do the work whether we have them or not). Some people think it will delay the project and make it cost more money. I say - if they are required, we should get them to avoid any problems down the road when we go to sell.

Please advise.

HomeGuru

Mrs. Henderson said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I live in a 7 unit townhome. There is dry rot damage to the common wall surrounding Unit 1 that has caused the floor in their dining room to sink 2 inches. We (the HOA) are working on getting bids from contractors to do repair work. Do we need permits for repairs to the existing structure? We have a quote from one contractor who says permits will be our responsibility (he'll do the work whether we have them or not). Some people think it will delay the project and make it cost more money. I say - if they are required, we should get them to avoid any problems down the road when we go to sell.

Please advise.

**A: hello Mrs. parking stall. You have not asked a legal question. The answer would come from the local building department. Did anyone call them?

M

Mrs. Henderson

legal question

Hi Homie,

You're right, I didn't ask a legal question - I guess I'm just trying to avoid a lawsuit - with a lame contractor and/or the city. I guess we'll call the city building people.

- parking is fine down here, how's things up there? Baby is 4.5 months old now! How time flies...

HomeGuru

Mrs. Henderson said:
Hi Homie,

You're right, I didn't ask a legal question - I guess I'm just trying to avoid a lawsuit - with a lame contractor and/or the city. I guess we'll call the city building people.

- parking is fine down here, how's things up there? Baby is 4.5 months old now! How time flies...

**A: wow, it's been that long already? Soon the baby will be crawling, then asking for college tuition money.
Let us know what you find about the permits and so not let the contractor out of your sight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">