• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Electrical & Water lines Proxiamety???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WS-20

I am posting from Southern Ontario Canada.

I am just starting a bathroom in my basement and I have run into a situation I am not sure what the 'rules' are.
The bathroom is roughed in and the previous owner built a room beside the bathroom as an office. They ran the power lines through the "wet wall" and I am now concerned about running plumbing lines through the same wall. The water and electrical lines will be in pretty close proxiamety as well as a few outlets for the other room. There is a GFI outlet on the run though.

Is this a major problem?

JETX

Questions about U.S. law ONLY.
But your answer lies in the NEC. Oh, that only applies to AMERICA!!!

HomeGuru

Plus that you are not asking for legal advice but rather a building code question. The GFI outlet only protects the plugs not the lights. Hire a licensed electrical contractor and make sure you have a building permit. Oh, that only applies in the US.

P

Peety

HomeGuru said:
Plus that you are not asking for legal advice but rather a building code question. The GFI outlet only protects the plugs not the lights. Hire a licensed electrical contractor and make sure you have a building permit. Oh, that only applies in the US.
Even though it is an NEC code question ......
There is no problem with proximity ..... no code states a required separation of plumbing and electrical inside walls. There is a stipulation that any electrical outlets (switches also?) within 6 feet of a water source (sink, tub, shower, toilet, etc.) must be GFCI protected; but all that is outside the walls. This is to protect people from "the old hair-dryer in the tub" scenario.

Also: if a light is on the circuit after the GFCI outlet, then it is also protected by that outlet ..... to see, just press the "test" button on the GFCI outlet. Does the light go out ?

HomeGuru

Peety said:
Even though it is an NEC code question ......
There is no problem with proximity ..... no code states a required separation of plumbing and electrical inside walls.

**A: that can't be true since under that premise it would be ok to wrap Romex around a copper supply pipe.

P

Peety

It poses no danger to do so ...... because ......

.... romex has multiple wires that are individually insulated, and then again encased together in another plastic insulating sleave. There is insulation around each wire (except the ground wire) but your pipes are supposed to be grounded anyway. It would take years, soaking in water, for wires inside romex to get damaged. Water doesn't damage plastic (composition of the romex insulation). The water pipes surely wouldn't get hurt by the romex.

From the Electricians point of view: The way an electrician "pulls rope" (as it's termed by many) it would slow him down considerably to stop half way through a pull, and wrap it around a water pipe (& why?) and then start a new pull. What would happen if he measured or guessed wrong, he'd have to unpull the last half, unwrap the pipe, pull more on the first half, re-wrap the pipe (& why?), and then repull the second half again.

From the Plumbers point of view: Do you really expect the water in my pipes to be leaking all over the place, or as you seem to think, especially and exclusively on electrical wires?

From the General Contractors point of view: Even if the pipes did leak, I'd say the framing, flooring, drywall, and the insulation under the floor would be compromised much sooner that the double insulated wires would (and if so, I ought to find a better plumber). Those metal staples that the electrician uses to secure the romex pose a greater threat for short-circuit than any smooth, round, water pipes in the wall do. But the main reason for short-circuits is drywall screws/nails and the nails/screws used to hang cabinets ...... not water (or for that matter gas) pipes. Gas pipes shouldn't leak gas either.

What about electric water heaters; Are they dangerous ???

So now I pose a question to you ..... Why would a professional tradesman waste his time wraping a length of romex around a water pipe anyway ???

Quite a blast huh ?? Sorry. It's all true though.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Peety said:
.... romex has multiple wires that are individually insulated, and then again encased together in another plastic insulating sleave. There is insulation around each wire (except the ground wire) but your pipes are supposed to be grounded anyway. It would take years, soaking in water, for wires inside romex to get damaged. Water doesn't damage plastic (composition of the romex insulation). The water pipes surely wouldn't get hurt by the romex.

From the Electricians point of view: The way an electrician "pulls rope" (as it's termed by many) it would slow him down considerably to stop half way through a pull, and wrap it around a water pipe (& why?) and then start a new pull. What would happen if he measured or guessed wrong, he'd have to unpull the last half, unwrap the pipe, pull more on the first half, re-wrap the pipe (& why?), and then repull the second half again.

From the Plumbers point of view: Do you really expect the water in my pipes to be leaking all over the place, or as you seem to think, especially and exclusively on electrical wires?

From the General Contractors point of view: Even if the pipes did leak, I'd say the framing, flooring, drywall, and the insulation under the floor would be compromised much sooner that the double insulated wires would (and if so, I ought to find a better plumber). Those metal staples that the electrician uses to secure the romex pose a greater threat for short-circuit than any smooth, round, water pipes in the wall do. But the main reason for short-circuits is drywall screws/nails and the nails/screws used to hang cabinets ...... not water (or for that matter gas) pipes. Gas pipes shouldn't leak gas either.

What about electric water heaters; Are they dangerous ???

So now I pose a question to you ..... Why would a professional tradesman waste his time wraping a length of romex around a water pipe anyway ???

Quite a blast huh ?? Sorry. It's all true though.
**A: very interesting. Now do you think all jobs are done by licensed professionals? Ask some home inspectors what they see on some inspections.

P

Peety

Done by pro's or not, still proximity makes no difference inside the walls as long as the wires, pipes etc are not damaged in the process. They are designed not to leak or short-circuit under extreme situations. What's done on the outside of the walls, where the openings are, is what matters. That's the reason for GFCI Circuit-Breakers and GFCI Outlets.

HomeGuru

Peety said:
Done by pro's or not, still proximity makes no difference inside the walls as long as the wires, pipes etc are not damaged in the process. They are designed not to leak or short-circuit under extreme situations. What's done on the outside of the walls, where the openings are, is what matters. That's the reason for GFCI Circuit-Breakers and GFCI Outlets.
**A: too funny. I guess you were not around when the first pb piping started leaking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">