• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extended contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

macudel

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

The contractor broke ground on my parents home on 12/24/02 and has yet to complete the home. Keep in mind that this home is nothing elaborate but simply a 3 bedroom ranch home with a walk-out basement. There was not a projected completion date stated in the contract (nor was the contract actually signed by the contractor), only a verbal projection of 3 months. While there were some changes in the original floor plans, the changes weren't extreme. The contractor also put in the wrong fireplace surrounding (rock instead of brick) because he thought it would look better. Very rarely was the contractor there to work on house for a full day. Only a coupld of hours here and a coupld of hours there. In June, my parents started to ask "When". "The end of next month" was always the answer. The contractor has bounced checks to other sub-contractors (who've called my parents questioning this) and still hasn't paid other sub-contractors who are threatening to put a lien on my parent's home. They have paid him everything he's asked for up until this point.

What recourses do my parents have since there was no estimated completion date in writing, only the verbal statement made by the contractor? Is 15 months a "legitimate" amount of time for the construction of a home. What is their best course of action against him?

HomeGuru

macudel said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

The contractor broke ground on my parents home on 12/24/02 and has yet to complete the home. Keep in mind that this home is nothing elaborate but simply a 3 bedroom ranch home with a walk-out basement. There was not a projected completion date stated in the contract (nor was the contract actually signed by the contractor),

**A: and why not?

only a verbal projection of 3 months. While there were some changes in the original floor plans, the changes weren't extreme. The contractor also put in the wrong fireplace surrounding (rock instead of brick) because he thought it would look better. Very rarely was the contractor there to work on house for a full day. Only a coupld of hours here and a coupld of hours there. In June, my parents started to ask "When". "The end of next month" was always the answer. The contractor has bounced checks to other sub-contractors (who've called my parents questioning this) and still hasn't paid other sub-contractors who are threatening to put a lien on my parent's home. They have paid him everything he's asked for up until this point.

**A: ok, don't you get the feeling that something is very wrong and maybe an attorney should be involved?
What recourses do my parents have since there was no estimated completion date in writing, only the verbal statement made by the contractor? Is 15 months a "legitimate" amount of time for the construction of a home.

**A: yes, if there is no completion date.
What is their best course of action against him?
**A: see above.

M

macudel

Thank you for the response. They do have a lawyer involved, however, he has stated that construction cases are hard to prove and seems very hesitant to continue with a law suit. Little progress has been made.

HomeGuru

macudel said:
Thank you for the response. They do have a lawyer involved, however, he has stated that construction cases are hard to prove and seems very hesitant to continue with a law suit. Little progress has been made.
**A: then tell your parents to hire another attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">