• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence Height

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FUMINGMAD

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL

We just moved to this house last July. There was a 6' fence 75% around the property. This year we finished off the remaining part of the yard with a 6' fence.

The village contacted us telling us that the new fence was too high. The current zoning ordinance states the maximum height is 5'. However below that on the Fence permit application it says that when 50% or more of the fence is replace than it must meet current zoning requirements. However as I mentioned we replace less than 50%.

I called several times to tell them about this stipulation and they are telling me that the last owner didn't get a permit to put up a fence. And that the last permit was issued in 1991 for a fence.

Because of this they are allowing us to keep the older part of the fence at 6'. And demanding that we trim down the new fence to 5' which will ruin the fence. Do we have to comply? Are they just making stuff up? We happen to know the last owners and they replace the old fence that they say was 6'. And ontop of that there's old and brand new fences all over the neighborhood that are over 6' tall not too mention all the hedges in the area as well.

Should we apply for a variance?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">