• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Firing contractor for not getting permits, not paying subs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

efg

What is the name of your state?I am in North Carolina.

Six months ago, we hired a contractor to finish our bonus room, approximately 380 square feet. The contract says the work is to be completed "as expeditiously as possible" absent such conditions as strikes, war, or shortages of materials or labor. The job is still not done, and at the current rate of progress, it would be about 2 more months until it is finished.

On Friday, we received a letter from the plumber, who completed his work in July, saying that he had not been paid, and we needed to pay him, or he might file a lien against our property. But this did offer some insight into why the job is progressing so slowly--the contractor is not paying his subs, so he has trouble getting anyone to work for him.

We checked with the electrician, and he had not been paid either. Other than the HVAC contractor, whom we paid ourselves (per the contract), these are the only subs that did any work on the project before late September. Therefore, the contractor hasn't paid any of the subs since the start of the project six months ago. Also, the contractor didn't get any of the building permits until nearly two months after construction started, when the electrician applied for an electrical permit. This caused the city inspector to come out to our house and demand that the contractor get permits for the rest of the work.

We want to get rid of this contractor. We plan to tell him to return the key to the house and not to come back. We will not pay him the remaining 30% of the agreed-upon price. We think we should be able to hire a handyman to finish up the project for less than the remaining 30% of the contracted price.

(1) Are we on firm legal ground in terminating the contractor for breach of contract?

(2) Do we owe any money to the contractor if we terminate him?

(3) Do we have any obligation to pay the subcontractors who have worked on the project?

Thanks,
Ed

E

efg

Mechanics liens

OK, I read other topics. Mechanics liens are real (even though a builder friend of mine just this morning told me not to worry about this one).

Now ... if this builder has not paid the subs, maybe he didn't pay for materials either. How soon before the suppliers would let us know this? Other than the insulation and drywall, the materials were all delivered at least 4 months ago.

-Ed

JETX

efg said:
(1) Are we on firm legal ground in terminating the contractor for breach of contract?
(2) Do we owe any money to the contractor if we terminate him?
(3) Do we have any obligation to pay the subcontractors who have worked on the project?
Start with the easy one... #3. Yes, you will be obligated to pay the subs or face them filing liens on your property.
As for the other 2, do NOT do anything without talking with a local attorney and letting him/her read your contract. Making a decision without advice of counsel could cost you FAR more than it is worth.

E

efg

Interested in 2nd opinion

I will talk to an attorney today if possible, but I am still interested in other opinions, so if you have any experience with cases like this, please post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">