• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foundation vs temperature

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shawnma

In general, above what temperature the foundation for the house has to be done? Someone say above 20 F, but I feel should be above 32 F to get a good and strong foundation. Anyone knows that?

Thanks.

H

hexeliebe

you are kidding right? This is a legal site, not a construction site.

and yes, I know the answer. But this is not the place.

JETX

I don't think there is any statute, state or federal, that dictates the minimum or maximum temperature for making a concrete pour.

And like Hex, I know.... but that is really a civil question, not legal.

H

hexeliebe

What you are asking for are building codes and there is no way to know if your city or county has a code restricting the temperature at which concrete can be poured.

However, you might call your city/county and ask at what depth below the freeze line concrete footings are required to be.

S

shawnma

Thanks.

Just found the answer. For those of you may interest here it is:

Ideal temperatures for placing concrete are between 50 and 90¡ãF. The temperature of newly placed concrete should not drop below 40¡ãF for at least a week

JETX

Okay, your 'abbreviated' incorrect temperature range is just forcing me to give the CORRECT information (sorry, can't help myself.... feel compelled..... !!).

When is it too cold to pour concrete?
It depends. Concrete will not set when the concrete temperature is below about 35F. Many times specifications will say something like "Concrete may not be poured when the temperature is 37F and falling." With heated water and aggregates, accelerating admixtures, and other methods, jobs can be poured below freezing, but it is more expensive. In most southern states there are so few freezing days that it is not worth it to try to pour when the temperature is below freezing.

When is it too hot to pour concrete?
It depends. High temperatures (90F and above) cause concrete to set faster. High temperatures also reduce the strength of concrete. Strong winds and low humidity can also cause problems with plastic shrinkage and drying shrinkage cracks, even at moderate temperatures. To avoid these problems, planning, timing of the finishing operations, proper use of retarding admixtures, and proper curing are necessary.

H

hexeliebe

The last time I poured concrete the only thing we had to worry about was finding a bucket large enough for his size 14 feet and deep enough so the bucket wouldn't slip off when he hit the water:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">