• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

foundation warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cherylmcadams

What is the name of your state? TN

I own a two-story town (duplex) with a zero lot line. My foundation has cracked and the house has settled. There is a large crack(2 -3") wide on the outside wall (brick) that causes the floors and walls to be unlevel. The house was built in the mid-80's. It is becoming noticeably worse. Do I have any legal recourse? Also, the back of the building has masonite siding (not vinyl) that has rotted and caused the wood underneath to also rot. There is a class-action law suit against the siding company but it will pay only a portion of the cost of replacing the siding - nothing on the rotted wood. What should I do?

HomeGuru

cherylmcadams said:
What is the name of your state? TN

I own a two-story town (duplex) with a zero lot line. My foundation has cracked and the house has settled. There is a large crack(2 -3") wide on the outside wall (brick) that causes the floors and walls to be unlevel. The house was built in the mid-80's. It is becoming noticeably worse. Do I have any legal recourse? Also, the back of the building has masonite siding (not vinyl) that has rotted and caused the wood underneath to also rot. There is a class-action law suit against the siding company but it will pay only a portion of the cost of replacing the siding - nothing on the rotted wood. What should I do?
**A: hire an engineer.

lwpat

"What should I do?"

I certainly think that you should sue someone. The house is only twenty years old. They just don't build them like they used to.

I think you should sue the Post Office. After all the mailman comes up on your porch every day. Have you noticed how overweight he is. I bet all that extra weight plus the weight of the junk mail caused the foundation to crack.

As for the rotting wood everybody knows that is caused by moisture. I say sue the local TV station. After all if that weatherman hadn't predicted rain your wood wouldn't have gotten wet and rotted.

And for good measure you need to include your mother-in-law in the suit. You know that witch has to be responsible for something.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

iginally posted by lwpat [/i]
"What should I do?"

I certainly think that you should sue someone. The house is only twenty years old. They just don't build them like they used to.

I think you should sue the Post Office. After all the mailman comes up on your porch every day. Have you noticed how overweight he is. I bet all that extra weight plus the weight of the junk mail caused the foundation to crack.

As for the rotting wood everybody knows that is caused by moisture. I say sue the local TV station. After all if that weatherman hadn't predicted rain your wood wouldn't have gotten wet and rotted.

And for good measure you need to include your mother-in-law in the suit. You know that witch has to be responsible for something.
[/QUOTE]

**A: wow, very complex litigation.

C

cherylmcadams

Iwpat -
Thanks for clearing up some things for me. See, I was under the impression that this was a site I could go to for advice about my problem. I did not realize that it was an audtion for would-be comedians. But you know, with comedy, timing is everything. The fact that my beloved mother-in-law died earlier this year after a two-year battle with cancer shows you don't even have that!

HomeGuru

cherylmcadams said:
Iwpat -
Thanks for clearing up some things for me. See, I was under the impression that this was a site I could go to for advice about my problem. I did not realize that it was an audtion for would-be comedians. But you know, with comedy, timing is everything. The fact that my beloved mother-in-law died earlier this year after a two-year battle with cancer shows you don't even have that!
**A: ok, you got advice about your problem. What did your engineer tell you?

lwpat

"fact that my beloved mother-in-law died earlier this year after a two-year battle with cancer shows you don't even have that!"

So did mine three years ago. I am sorry for your loss but stand by my reply.

You own a home that is twenty years old and your first response to a problem is to sue someone. People like you who refuse to take personal responsibility and the lawyers who will actually take such suits rather than provide their clients with real advice are the reason behind the legal morass in America.

Instead of having a construction professional examine the problem and make a determination you want to run to a lawyer who hasn't a clue. I'm not saying that there may not be some responsibilty from another party. A good example is the problem with synthetic stucco.

What I am saying is that you deserved my response by coming here and asking if you have any "legal recourse". HG gave you the correct advice. Post again when you have taken it.

HomeGuru

lwpat said:
"fact that my beloved mother-in-law died earlier this year after a two-year battle with cancer shows you don't even have that!"

**A: and the death and dying has absolutely nothing to so with the foundation issues. Stick to the issues.

K

klupammo

""QUOTE]Originally posted by lwpat

**A: and the death and dying has absolutely nothing to so with the foundation issues. Stick to the issues.""

HG: Lwpat brought the mother-in-law issue into the mix with the sarcastic comments in the post. Again you hurt others for no other reason than to belittle them (so it seems in your most of your posts). Some people truly do not understand the full ramifications of what law suits do to our legal system. Try this, enlighten them without sarcasm. Try to understand what the person needs prior to going for the verbal kill. It may cut down on the number of posts you are able to accumulate, but it will help the people looking for some FREE legal advice.

HomeGuru

klupammo said:
""QUOTE]Originally posted by lwpat

**A: and the death and dying has absolutely nothing to so with the foundation issues. Stick to the issues.""

HG: Lwpat brought the mother-in-law issue into the mix with the sarcastic comments in the post. Again you hurt others for no other reason than to belittle them (so it seems in your most of your posts). Some people truly do not understand the full ramifications of what law suits do to our legal system. Try this, enlighten them without sarcasm. Try to understand what the person needs prior to going for the verbal kill. It may cut down on the number of posts you are able to accumulate, but it will help the people looking for some FREE legal advice.

HomeGuru: and who asked for your idiotic comments?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">