• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

furnace company/ wood stove set up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Donedeal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Recently purchased home. Had home inspected without issue regarding the set up I will describe below. Two oil burning furnaces in home. One is fine, the other was being vented into the chimney which has a working fireplace with damper (didn't realize this). Just had wood stove insert installed in same chimney for several thousand dollars. Had fumes in house and soot buildup around the stove. Didn't realize the furnace was being vented into this same chimney. Stove company and town is saying it's illegal to have a furnace vented into a working fireplace (even before stove went it, he says this set up of furnace bring vented into working fireplace chimney was illegal because fumes can enter the home and put your family at risk). Heat was shut off and has been off for several days. Oil company who has been serving the furnace for years and we believe (but are unsure) did the initial install says its not illegal. Now to correct the problem the furnace needs to be vented elsewhere which will cost another 2-4 thousand dollars.

-Is the stove company at fault installing a stove in an unsafe location?
- Is the oil company at fault for a questionably illegal set up?
- Is the home inspector at fault for not identifying this as an issue on inspection?
- Or are we screwed?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Recently purchased home. Had home inspected without issue regarding the set up I will describe below. Two oil burning furnaces in home. One is fine, the other was being vented into the chimney which has a working fireplace with damper (didn't realize this). Just had wood stove insert installed in same chimney for several thousand dollars. Had fumes in house and soot buildup around the stove. Didn't realize the furnace was being vented into this same chimney. Stove company and town is saying it's illegal to have a furnace vented into a working fireplace (even before stove went it, he says this set up of furnace bring vented into working fireplace chimney was illegal because fumes can enter the home and put your family at risk). Heat was shut off and has been off for several days. Oil company who has been serving the furnace for years and we believe (but are unsure) did the initial install says its not illegal. Now to correct the problem the furnace needs to be vented elsewhere which will cost another 2-4 thousand dollars.

-Is the stove company at fault installing a stove in an unsafe location?
- Is the oil company at fault for a questionably illegal set up?
- Is the home inspector at fault for not identifying this as an issue on inspection?
- Or are we screwed?
I'm going with door #4.

You have no recourse against the stove company.
Why would the oil company be at fault?
It's not the home inspector's job to dig behind the walls. Even if it was, you're generally limited to getting a refund on the cost of inspection.

OK-LL

And just FYI -- $2k-$4k to install a vent & ducting is nuts! Check with other contractors before you pay this exorbitant amount!

justalayman

And just FYI -- $2k-$4k to install a vent & ducting is nuts! Check with other contractors before you pay this exorbitant amount!
well, without seeing the home I am reluctant to say 2-4k is over priced. I have seen installs that make that look cheap.

Donedeal

Once the stove went in, any time the furnace kicked on it was exhausting into the house because the chimney was capped. Could have been a real dangerous situation for my family and baby and now we feel like were just getting screwed by these companies that are supposed to be the professionals in this ballpark and should have caught this to begin with. From what I've read it's illegal to have a furnace vented through a flue with a working fireplace.

Lot of distance to clear the house and roof for venting so that's what the cost is associated with.

OHRoadwarrior

So do what I suggested and discuss the issue with the local zoning inspector to find out what local code is. Then come back and tell us what he/she said.

Once the stove went in, any time the furnace kicked on it was exhausting into the house because the chimney was capped. Could have been a real dangerous situation for my family and baby and now we feel like were just getting screwed by these companies that are supposed to be the professionals in this ballpark and should have caught this to begin with. From what I've read it's illegal to have a furnace vented through a flue with a working fireplace.

Lot of distance to clear the house and roof for venting so that's what the cost is associated with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">