• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garage permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

7136king

What is the name of your state? Florida
I live in Hamilton County and want to build a 24'X30' garage on my property myself. The county building dept will not give me a permit unless I submit an engineers drawing which would cost me $700.00. This would make the project cost prohibitive. I need to know what are the legal ramifications if I build the garage without the permit. I was a construction worker for 35 years before retiring 3 years ago so I know something about building.

Please reply if you can help me. Thanks

JETX

Lets see.....
1) They can force you to remove the violating structure.
2) They could 'red-tag' it and prevent its certification for use.
3) They could note your property as 'in violation' and prevent it from being sold.
4) They could issue you a citation, which could lead to fines and penalties.
5) or any other of a myriad actions that they could take against you.

B

buzzards27

Buy some generic plans.

Go to 84 Lumber and buy a set of plans for $10.00 (make sure they are stamped by a Florida engineer). After you have the permits. modify the plans to suit your needs. You'll need to make your own plot plan.

HomeGuru

Re: Buy some generic plans.

buzzards27 said:
Go to 84 Lumber and buy a set of plans for $10.00 (make sure they are stamped by a Florida engineer). After you have the permits. modify the plans to suit your needs. You'll need to make your own plot plan.

**A: why are you advising the writer to obtain a permit from the original plans, then modify the plans. This method would result in the as-built construction deviating from the approved permitted plans and may subject the writer to revocation of the permit, fines and penalties, multiple municipal inspections for code compliance, added cost to remediate, additional design fees to revise the plans to match the construction, hold up on the issuance of the CO/permit sign off etc.

B

buzzards27

What is your problem Guru?

HomeGuru; Why are you questioning every post I make? Am I threating you in some way?

This is a garage, not a nuclear reactor. I'm not suggesting he give them plans for a 12 x 12 shed and the build a 30 x 60 barn. I'm saying if he needs to move a door or window a few feet from the generic plans (it is done every day) there would not be any problem, as long as he complies with the building codes.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Re: What is your problem Guru?

buzzards27 said:
HomeGuru; Why are you questioning every post I make?

**A: I am not. You posted on other forums and I did not question you. So you are totally wrong in stating that i am questioning every post that you make.

Am I threating you in some way?

**A: of course not. I want to make sure that the writer obtain correct advice.
If your advice was factual, i would not have to post corrections and clarifications.

This is a garage, not a nuclear reactor. I'm not suggesting he give them plans for a 12 x 12 shed and the build a 30 x 60 barn. I'm saying if he needs to move a door or window a few feet from the generic plans (it is done every day) there would not be any problem, as long as he complies with the building codes.

**A: well, did you say that in your post, no. Read your post again it says "After you have the permits. modify to suit your needs" You never stated compliance with building codes. In any case, Florida building departments state that any deviation from the approved plans require approval from the AJA and possibly a renovation of after the fact building permit depending upon the cost and type of revision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">