• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Get Deposit returned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stevejf

What is the name of your state? PA

I signed a written proposal from a contractor to build a deck. Along with the signed contract I made a 25% ($4,000) down payment.

I have now reconcidered using this contractor and requested he return my deposit. He did not order any materials and did not begin work on the deck.

The proposal did not indicate a cancellation agreement.

Must the contractor return my deposit?

HomeGuru

stevejf said:
What is the name of your state? PA

I signed a written proposal from a contractor to build a deck. Along with the signed contract I made a 25% ($4,000) down payment.

I have now reconcidered using this contractor and requested he return my deposit. He did not order any materials and did not begin work on the deck.

The proposal did not indicate a cancellation agreement.

Must the contractor return my deposit?
**A: what did your state consumer protection office tell you when you asked them?

S

stevejf

This site was my first attempt to seek an answer to my question. I will contact that agency. Good advice, Thanks!

S

stevejf

PA State Law allows a consumer to cancel a contract within 3 days. Unfortunately, I gave notice approximately 14 days after signing.

Does that mean I am out my $4k?

S

stevejf

Also, the contract did not have attached a Notice of Cancellation form attached (if that helps).

JETX

You have no inherent right to demand, or expect, a refund of the full amount. Have you tried to contact the contractor and explain why you no longer feel comfortable proceeding with his work and requested a refund??
If not, that is your first step.

If you have done that and feel that your cancellation is warranted.... and his refusal is unreasonable, then you can consider filing a small claims action to recover the money.

BTW, small claims limit in PA is a very generous $8,000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">