• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting out of builder contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigfatshane

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WI

We purchased a lot from a builder, and in doing so, agreed he would be the builder of our home on that lot. We have had a terrible experience just getting through the design phase (still in it) and we are wondering what we can do to break our agreement to use this builder, so we can get a different builder. The agreement had no provisions for what would happen if we wanted out. I assume there's some amount of money we can "pay him off" with, but before we can negotiate that, I should also know how much money is at risk if we went to court.

We do own the lot outright, and possess the deed. The agreement with the builder was an addendum to the purchase contract, but was a separate document.

-- trapped?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

bigfatshane said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? WI

We purchased a lot from a builder, and in doing so, agreed he would be the builder of our home on that lot. We have had a terrible experience just getting through the design phase (still in it) and we are wondering what we can do to break our agreement to use this builder, so we can get a different builder. The agreement had no provisions for what would happen if we wanted out. I assume there's some amount of money we can "pay him off" with, but before we can negotiate that, I should also know how much money is at risk if we went to court.

We do own the lot outright, and possess the deed. The agreement with the builder was an addendum to the purchase contract, but was a separate document.

-- trapped?
**A: you made a big fat error when you did not sign a totally separate contract for the construction. You need to have an attorney review the contract.

bigfatshane

Yes, of course I need to have an attorney view the contract. Before I do that, I came here to get a "feel" for what that attorney might say. Specifically, my question was whether or not there is a typical expectation in cases like this regarding the cost and manner of getting out the contract. Do you have an answer to that?

HomeGuru

bigfatshane said:
Yes, of course I need to have an attorney view the contract. Before I do that, I came here to get a "feel" for what that attorney might say. Specifically, my question was whether or not there is a typical expectation in cases like this regarding the cost and manner of getting out the contract. Do you have an answer to that?
**A: yes, I do have an answer to that.

JETX

bigfatshane said:
Yes. Please hold the contract up to your monitor so that we can see it.... a little closer.
Just a little closer (damn old eyes).
Okay, just a little more....

Okay, turn the page.

Okay, page.

Okay, page

Okay, page

It is clear after reviewing your contract (ain't technology wonderful??), that you are in deep crap. Not only do you have to let this builder build your home.... but did you read that clause on page 3, fourth paragraph?? It says that he gets to sleep with your wife every other Saturday, until the house construction is completed!! Guess that is the penalty clause.... and only you know who the 'penalized' party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">