• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!! Contractor did not finish work!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OHRoadwarrior

Hopefully your contract has percentage of completion dates. Penalties for him failing to meet those dates. Clauses providing partial payments, based on milestones. Otherwise you are screwed.

Melmar

I'm in Kentucky. There was a verbal contract. He said it would take him a couple of months and it would be done. My main question is...Can I legally record him telling me what day he will be finished?

Melmar

"It is a felony to overhear or record, through use of an electronic or mechanical device, a wire or oral communication without the consent of at least one party to that communication"

If I am standing in my home, with one party consent,(being me, cause I will be part of the conversation) I can legally record what he is telling me, without having to have his consent? That's if I read that right!

Silverplum

"It is a felony to overhear or record, through use of an electronic or mechanical device, a wire or oral communication without the consent of at least one party to that communication"

If I am standing in my home, with one party consent,(being me, cause I will be part of the conversation) I can legally record what he is telling me, without having to have his consent? That's if I read that right!
You read correctly -- and I read it INcorrectly! I apologize. :eek::eek: I don't know how I misread it, but I did for sure. :eek:

So yes, you are the "one party" who can provide consent to audiotaping. But no, I don't think that will do you any good. You have no contract. You wrote that your "contract" was "verbal," which is generally worthless. But if you want to do your good-reading thing again, you could look up and see if your state allows verbal contracts and how are they proven. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">