• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Builder Lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

quickk

What is the name of your state? California

My home was built 2002 by a developer; I am now the second owner. I learned during my purchase that there may be an upcoming lawsuit against the builder resulting from foundation problems, however I didn't find any problems with my home during escrow.

If my house develops problems in the nearterm, would I have the same recourse against the builder as did the original homeowner?

HomeGuru

quickk said:
What is the name of your state? California

My home was built 2002 by a developer; I am now the second owner. I learned during my purchase that there may be an upcoming lawsuit against the builder resulting from foundation problems, however I didn't find any problems with my home during escrow.

**A: did you get a home inspection?

If my house develops problems in the nearterm, would I have the same recourse against the builder as did the original homeowner?
**A: possibly, but without a review of all your documents including the warranty from the builder, it would not be easy to give you a concrete answer.

Q

quickk

My bad

How did I know you were going to ask that?...No I did not get a home inspection; I figuered since the house was so new, it wouldn't have any problems.

Does this affect my position with regards to any recourse?

Btw- Thanks for your assistance.

HomeGuru

quickk said:
How did I know you were going to ask that?...No I did not get a home inspection; I figuered since the house was so new, it wouldn't have any problems.

**A: then you figured so so wrong. Read the stories at www.hadd.com. You may even see your builder listed.

Does this affect my position with regards to any recourse?

**A: probably not but you bet the builder will make a big deal about it.

Btw- Thanks for your assistance.
**A: hey no problem. Can you tell us exactly what kind of foundation problem you are having? And when are you going to order a home inspection?

Last edited:
Q

quickk

HomeGuru said:
**A: he not problem. Can you tell us exactly what kind of foundation problem you are having? And when are you going to order a home inspection?
Well, escrow just closed, and I haven't even moved in yet, but I noticed a small crack in one of the outside walls.

If you think it would make a difference, I would schedule one asap. I just thought it was too late now.

lwpat

I learned during my purchase that there may be an upcoming lawsuit against the builder resulting from foundation problems, however I didn't find any problems with my home during escrow.
And I assume that you are an experienced home inspector. Existing known conditions are required to be disclosed, that is why you were notified of the lawsuit. A home inspection needs to be performed immediately. If there are problems then contact an attorney and have him review you paperwork. I also assume that you did not have your attorney do the closing. If so fire him for not recommending that you have the inspection and/or home warranty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">