• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner wont pay money for work done

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RBG2001

I signed a proposal with Homeowner stating that I would completely gut 2 bathrooms and restore to new condition up to paint for $6000.00 with $2000.00 deposit, $2000.00 after first bath and $2000.00 upon completion.There was no start date or completion date in proposal.Homeowner asked me to change our verbal agreement on work schedule and start second bath to have use for holidays,which i did.The original work schedule was basis for pay schedule.So far i have completed 90% of all work and have only been payed for about 80% and Homeowner has given me an ultimatum of parting our ways or finish the work by a certain date.Ifeel she owes me money for work done and am not confident she will pay remainder when complete.I was not licensed when we signed proposal and she knew this but did not get permits herself.I also did extras above and beyond the original agreement which I wasn't going to charge for.Someone told me to file for a Lien on her property but I'm not sure what to do.Would like to finish job and get paid in full but I dont trust her to pay.Mainly want to do what's right.In Va..

HomeGuru

I believe you need to be licensed for the work that you did and the contract must follow certain guidelines. At this point she has more leverage than you do. If she files a complaint with the Contractors License Board and Consumer Protection, you may be subject to administrative rulings.
Contact the State to find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">