• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HopeSomeoneCanHelp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mheucker

What is the name of your state?IN

Built new home and used a patient to paint. He could not complete work on exterior due to weather. Called him prior to closing and asked if any overages he said no. He was then paid in full. He came back to finish and then produced a bogus bill of overages. I was dumbfounded. I wanted to keep the relationship and paid half of the bill with the remaining bill to be applied to past balances and for the remaining work (my husband told him to stop when we found out we owed him more money). I thought it was over and now he is sending me to collections and said that no matter what the outcome my report will be affected. I am sick over this.

lwpat

Did you have him sign a release of lein or do you have other evidence that he was paid in full for all work to date?

He came back to finish and then produced a bogus bill of overages.
Are the changes actual extras over and above what he was required to perform in accordance with the contract?

Is he a licensed contractor with all of the proper insurance and business licenses?

I wanted to keep the relationship and paid half of the bill with the remaining bill to be applied to past balances and for the remaining work
Your written agreement to these terms should be all that you need.

I thought it was over and now he is sending me to collections and said that no matter what the outcome my report will be affected.
And of course you believe him. There are ways to dispute anything that is put on your credit report. It is an aggravation but you can usually keep bogus claims off. Why aren't you sending him to collections for his past balance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">