• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House built on wrong spot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fbk227

What is the name of your state? New York
This is a very long story...so here goes. We bought a house in Huntington , Long Island, NY on Sept 28, 2001. We started renovating and one thing led to another and before we knew it, we had pretty much gutted the whole place. Fast forward to Christmas Day 2001. My husband and members of our family worked on the house and left around 6pm that evening. Up to this point, our house was re-electrified(?), plumbing was done, sheetrock was up. I had also ordered new kitchen cabinets. The house was about 5-6 weeks from completion. That night, our house was set on fire, according to our insurance company, State Farm, the cause was never determined. The house was almost burned to the ground. We hired an insurance adjuster, Big Mistake, we didn't know any better. We had people calling us at home, cell phone, work! After much interrogation by the insurance company, I guess we were their first suspects, it was decided that we should get paid, unfortunately, it was only about $180,000, we had paid $315,000 for the house. It was determined that because the house had nothing of real value, that was the amount we were due. Anyway, we had not enough money to start building again, so we applied for a construction loan through IndyMac Bank(about 9/2003). We already had plans drawn up for the house through a local architect. We hired a contractor who was a longtime family friend. We got approved for the loan and construction began in Dec of 2003. The project was to be paid out by the bank according to the work that was completed at the time of their inspection. This past August 2004, the house had rough plumbing, rough electrical, septic tank, stairs, the siding was done on 3 sides of the house, windows were in, it was about 6-8 weeks from completion, enough that we would get CEO to move in. Well, the unthinkable happened, it was determined by the town that our house didn't have the proper setbacks as required by town code! It was off by 7 feet on one side, and about 10 feet from the front. The contractor hired out the foundation portion of the job to someone else. He claims that he didn't know that the house wasn't on the right site. We wanted to have the house moved to the correct spot, but the cost would have been about $100,000, which the contractor says he doesn't have. I have lost most of my backyard, and my side yard. We reluctantly were persuaded by the contractor to apply for a variance, with the contractor covering all of the legal costs. We finally got a date for Feb 10, 2005. My question is, can we sue the contractor after the house is finished? We have put up with many delays, we had to pay $10,000 to get the construction loan extended(it was due 1/2005) by 6 months. I have been physically ill due to the stress of the fire and subsequent problems. I would sue him now, but he still has most of my money for work yet to be completed. Do I even have a case? I don't know how the board will vote, maybe upon hearing our woeful tale, they will feel some sympathy. But honestly, I really want the house to be moved to the correct spot. I had said from the beginning that the house looked like it was too far, but the contractor assured me that was becasue I had no point of reference, i.e. the trees and all the bushes had been removed. I would appreciate any help, I am at my wit's end. I have lost my job due to health issues, applied for diasability and was turned down. I really don't think we'll even be able to afford the house after it's all done. Meanwhile I have paid for kitchen cabinets, $25,000 worth, a new front door that are all sitting in a storage rental place. I also lost my original $1500 deposit for the first set of kitchen cabinets, I was then sued by them because I cancelled the order, so I had to pay another $3500 to get them off our backs! I am so sorry that this is so long, but I wanted to get the major part of the story out. Thank You

Last edited:

HomeGuru

fbk227 said:
What is the name of your state? New York
This is a very long story...so here goes. We bought a house in Huntington , Long Island, NY on Sept 28, 2001. We started renovating and one thing led to another and before we knew it, we had pretty much gutted the whole place. Fast forward to Christmas Day 2001. My husband and members of our family worked on the house and left around 6pm that evening. Up to this point, our house was re-electrified(?), plumbing was done, sheetrock was up. I had also ordered new kitchen cabinets. The house was about 5-6 weeks from completion. That night, our house was set on fire, according to our insurance company, State Farm, the cause was never determined. The house was almost burned to the ground. We hired an insurance adjuster, Big Mistake, we didn't know any better. We had people calling us at home, cell phone, work! After much interrogation by the insurance company, I guess we were their first suspects, it was decided that we should get paid, unfortunately, it was only about $180,000, we had paid $315,000 for the house. It was determined that because the house had nothing of real value, that was the amount we were due. Anyway, we had not enough money to start building again, so we applied for a construction loan through IndyMac Bank(about 9/2003). We already had plans drawn up for the house through a local architect. We hired a contractor who was a longtime family friend. We got approved for the loan and construction began in Dec of 2003. The project was to be paid out by the bank according to the work that was completed at the time of their inspection. This past August 2004, the house had rough plumbing, rough electrical, septic tank, stairs, the siding was done on 3 sides of the house, windows were in, it was about 6-8 weeks from completion, enough that we would get CEO to move in. Well, the unthinkable happened, it was determined by the town that our house didn't have the proper setbacks as required by town code! It was off by 7 feet on one side, and about 10 feet from the front. The contractor hired out the foundation portion of the job to someone else. He claims that he didn't know that the house wasn't on the right site. We wanted to have the house moved to the correct spot, but the cost would have been about $100,000, which the contractor says he doesn't have. I have lost most of my backyard, and my side yard. We reluctantly were persuaded by the contractor to apply for a variance, with the contractor covering all of the legal costs. We finally got a date for Feb 10, 2005. My question is, can we sue the contractor after the house is finished? We have put up with many delays, we had to pay $10,000 to get the construction loan extended(it was due 1/2005) by 6 months. I have been physically ill due to the stress of the fire and subsequent problems. I would sue him now, but he still has most of my money for work yet to be completed. Do I even have a case? I don't know how the board will vote, maybe upon hearing our woeful tale, they will feel some sympathy. But honestly, I really want the house to be moved to the correct spot. I had said from the beginning that the house looked like it was too far, but the contractor assured me that was becasue I had no point of reference, i.e. the trees and all the bushes had been removed. I would appreciate any help, I am at my wit's end. I have lost my job due to health issues, applied for diasability and was turned down. I really don't think we'll even be able to afford the house after it's all done. Meanwhile I have paid for kitchen cabinets, $25,000 worth, a new front door that are all sitting in a storage rental place. I also lost my original $1500 deposit for the first set of kitchen cabinets, I was then sued by them because I cancelled the order, so I had to pay another $3500 to get them off our backs! I am so sorry that this is so long, but I wanted to get the major part of the story out. Thank You
**A: Ok, so at what point do you think you may want to hire an attorney?

fbk227

House Built On Wrong Spot

NY, Believe me, I have wanted to hire an attorney, but am not sure if I even have any legal grounds, granted my story sounded like a good old fashioned sob story, but upon reading it, I realized there were even more details that were left out! Ouch! Do you have any idea where I should start? Thanks for your reply...

HomeGuru

fbk227 said:
NY, Believe me, I have wanted to hire an attorney, but am not sure if I even have any legal grounds, granted my story sounded like a good old fashioned sob story, but upon reading it, I realized there were even more details that were left out! Ouch! Do you have any idea where I should start? Thanks for your reply...

**A: Ok, I don't normally do this, but post the other details in a short concise brief thread add-on.

fbk227

NY,My fire adjuster wanted us to pay a $20,000 bribe to the insurance investigator to get our case resolved quickly, inferring that we were the main focus of the investigation. I told him in no uncertain terms that we had nothing to do with the fire and I would go to the police to file a compalint. He quickly backed down and never mentioned it again. He got 8% of our payout. Fast forward several months later and I got a survey card from the ins. co, I replied that the service was appalling. An investigator called and asked if I would make the same statements under oath, I said of course. He then offered to re-open the case and several months later, we got another check for approx $40,000. Next, the lawyer who is representing us and the contractor told us that we should be prepared to offer money to our neighbor who complained, if that's what it takes to stop them from coming to town hall on our hearing date to object to our house remaining where it is. The other option we have is to tear down the house and rebuild on the correct spot, or have the house physically moved. I don't understand how it got to this point, we had inspectors coming at every stage of the construction and signing off on the work. Apparently before construction starts, a surveyor comes out to the site and marks off the exact location of the house with flags and such. We never saw that. we have been out so much...$25,000 when we first started renovating. We had $25,000 worth of kitchen cabinets sitting in storage along with a $3500 front door. We have $12,000 worth of bathroom fixtures sitting in my contractor's garage. I honestly am afraid to even move there because I imagine someone setting fire to the house while we are sleeping. All of our problems started after 9/11, it wasn't a good time to be a Pakistani Muslim, nevermind the fact that I was probably more American than anyone on the block! Please don't take the previous statement as a cop-out, poor me excuse, it's just a statement of my feelings.

fbk227

NY, Homeguru, I have been patiently awaiting a reply from you, I hope you haven't forgotten about me! Thanks...

HomeGuru

fbk227 said:
NY,My fire adjuster wanted us to pay a $20,000 bribe to the insurance investigator to get our case resolved quickly, inferring that we were the main focus of the investigation. I told him in no uncertain terms that we had nothing to do with the fire and I would go to the police to file a compalint. He quickly backed down and never mentioned it again. He got 8% of our payout. Fast forward several months later and I got a survey card from the ins. co, I replied that the service was appalling. An investigator called and asked if I would make the same statements under oath, I said of course. He then offered to re-open the case and several months later, we got another check for approx $40,000. Next, the lawyer who is representing us and the contractor told us that we should be prepared to offer money to our neighbor who complained, if that's what it takes to stop them from coming to town hall on our hearing date to object to our house remaining where it is. The other option we have is to tear down the house and rebuild on the correct spot, or have the house physically moved. I don't understand how it got to this point, we had inspectors coming at every stage of the construction and signing off on the work. Apparently before construction starts, a surveyor comes out to the site and marks off the exact location of the house with flags and such. We never saw that. we have been out so much...$25,000 when we first started renovating. We had $25,000 worth of kitchen cabinets sitting in storage along with a $3500 front door. We have $12,000 worth of bathroom fixtures sitting in my contractor's garage. I honestly am afraid to even move there because I imagine someone setting fire to the house while we are sleeping. All of our problems started after 9/11, it wasn't a good time to be a Pakistani Muslim, nevermind the fact that I was probably more American than anyone on the block! Please don't take the previous statement as a cop-out, poor me excuse, it's just a statement of my feelings.
**A: first off I do not know what type of insurance you had but under a general homeowner's policy, you should have gotten replacement cost value of improvements. Since the house was new, there should have been no depreciation.
There should have also been a builder's risk policy that your contractor had.
Now discussing the construction procedure, there is a survey which the aritec uses to design the home and plot it on the site. This method would entail compliance with the building and zoning yard setbacks, provided the builder followed the plans. In addition, prior to the start of construction, the builder is supposed to call the surveyor out to verify the property boundary lines; especially if the builder is unfamilar with "shooting the lines" with his own crew.

fbk227

The house that burned down was built back in the 60's....I am having problems with the new construction home, built on the wrong spot, etc.....there was a survey that was submitted to the town by the architect. I am not blaming the architect, I really think that the builder should have been on top of things. My question is, if after my hearing with the zoning board,they decide that we can keep the house where it is, can I still sue the builder for all my extra expenses that I have incurred as a result of the house not being built on time. I really don't like the house where it is, I want moved to the original location. I have an enormous front yard, and very little backyard left. Can I force him to move the house? I am of two minds at this point, on one hand, I want the house finished so I can finally move in...yet I know I am not going to be happy where the house is located.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">