• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Inspector does poor job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ryukyus

I purchased a house in November of 1999 in Indianapolis, IN. The house was inspected, too include the roof.

I noticed in May of 2000, the roof was leaking. I got several bids to repair the leak. All representatives said the roof was in poor condition and should be replaced.

I contacted the same inspector to reevaluate the roof. He visited in May and verbally reported the roof is fine.

I am in the process of selling my house to a relocation company. The house was inspected and the inspector reported the roof needs to be replaced. I hired another inspector to inspect only the roof and received the same evaluation: repair the entire roof.

The singles are 12 years into a 30 year rating and can be replaced at no cost. However, the costs associated with repairing the roof are high. The original inspector is telling me he takes no responsibility in the matter.

What is the best course of action? Small claims or civil court? Suggestions? Thanks.

HomeGuru

Hire an attorney to review your inspection contract and then sue the inspector in whatever court is appropriate. If the inspector has errors and ommissions insurance, that may help in settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">