• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

houseplans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abc-n-123

What is the name of your state?Hawaii

We gave two different draftsmen a plan we liked with a "wish list" of what we wanted our "dream house" to have, and had them draw their own renderings. There is no architect stamp on either plan. Each preliminary plan shows us the interior space and layout only. We do not have the exterior rendering yet. Both draftsmen do their preliminary plans for free. Between the two plans, Draftsman A's rendering would need fewer revisions, but Draftsman B has better rates. "A" charges $2.00/sq ft. "B" charges $.050/sq ft. (special discounted rate). Our plan is over 3000 sq. ft. My question is: Is it legal to have Draftsman B redraw Draftsman A's plans with modifications (changing the orintation of rooms, eliminating walls/windows, adding a bathroom, etc.)? Is there any sort of copyright issue regarding this? Does Draftsman A have any grounds to possibly sue me?

S

seniorjudge

abc-n-123 said:
What is the name of your state?Hawaii

We gave two different draftsmen a plan we liked with a "wish list" of what we wanted our "dream house" to have, and had them draw their own renderings. There is no architect stamp on either plan. Each preliminary plan shows us the interior space and layout only. We do not have the exterior rendering yet. Both draftsmen do their preliminary plans for free. Between the two plans, Draftsman A's rendering would need fewer revisions, but Draftsman B has better rates. "A" charges $2.00/sq ft. "B" charges $.050/sq ft. (special discounted rate). Our plan is over 3000 sq. ft. My question is: Is it legal to have Draftsman B redraw Draftsman A's plans with modifications (changing the orintation of rooms, eliminating walls/windows, adding a bathroom, etc.)? Is there any sort of copyright issue regarding this? Does Draftsman A have any grounds to possibly sue me?
Are you asking us how you can get out of paying Draftsman A's plans?

My answer: "Nothing legal comes to mind."

(If that was not your question, then clear this up please. Thank you....)

abc-n-123

The preliminary plans are done free of charge. I just wanted to know if redrawing plans was okay...no copyright infringements? Thank you for your response=)

S

seniorjudge

abc-n-123 said:
The preliminary plans are done free of charge. I just wanted to know if redrawing plans was okay...no copyright infringements? Thank you for your response=)
If the first set of plans are free and there is no copyright on them, then you can use them however you wish.

If the first set of plans are free and there is a copyright on them, then you can not use them however you wish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">