• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long is contractor liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Horst1000

What is the name of your state?
California

I bought a brand new house in a drought area of southern california. Very little rain. Six months after moving in we had torrential desert type rains for 2 weeks and I had water damage in 2 major walls of the house including the windows etc.

The roof was replaced as was the rooves of ALL of the other 26 new homes in my subdivision due to extensive water damage.

1 year later the same thing happened and most of the rooves once again replaced on most of the 26 homes plus some extensive stucco repair on the outside walls.

2 years later same story and once again about half the homes completely re-roofed at about $10,000 apiece. More stucco repair and minor repairs around windows.

5 years later same story and about 10 homes with water damage.
This time more extensive repairs were made and it seemed everything was OK. Remember very little rain here.

It is now 16 years later and I am starting to detect small amounts of water damage when it rains in the identical original places that we had problems with.

Can the contractor ( very large company) still be liable for this damage and can I sue for damage repair to fix the problem once and for all?? I have bought no home warranty packages over the years. But assume because the pre-existing problem was never completely fixed they are still liable.

HomeGuru

Horst1000 said:
What is the name of your state?
California

I bought a brand new house in a drought area of southern california. Very little rain. Six months after moving in we had torrential desert type rains for 2 weeks and I had water damage in 2 major walls of the house including the windows etc.

The roof was replaced as was the rooves of ALL of the other 26 new homes in my subdivision due to extensive water damage.

1 year later the same thing happened and most of the rooves once again replaced on most of the 26 homes plus some extensive stucco repair on the outside walls.

2 years later same story and once again about half the homes completely re-roofed at about $10,000 apiece. More stucco repair and minor repairs around windows.

5 years later same story and about 10 homes with water damage.
This time more extensive repairs were made and it seemed everything was OK. Remember very little rain here.

It is now 16 years later and I am starting to detect small amounts of water damage when it rains in the identical original places that we had problems with.

Can the contractor ( very large company) still be liable for this damage and can I sue for damage repair to fix the problem once and for all?? I have bought no home warranty packages over the years. But assume because the pre-existing problem was never completely fixed they are still liable.
**A: talk to a construction defect litigation attorney. You did not provide specifics.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">