• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm a contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emtcee1973

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I'm a contractor and I did some work for a woman and after a year she had someone else in her house to do some other work. This guy said I did several thing wrong and she hired him to redo the work I did. She didn't even give me the opportunity to rectify the "problem", she called me after they started working. I went there the next day to talk to her and I offered to install her kitchen and windows at no charge she said that the new guy was doing it. She now wants me to compensate her for the work I did. I was wondering if she has a case against me. I've never had a problem with a customer in the 10 years I've been doing this. The way I see it the new contractor had a vested interest in saying I did things wrong. Thanks for any response.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I'm a contractor and I did some work for a woman and after a year she had someone else in her house to do some other work. This guy said I did several thing wrong and she hired him to redo the work I did. She didn't even give me the opportunity to rectify the "problem", she called me after they started working. I went there the next day to talk to her and I offered to install her kitchen and windows at no charge she said that the new guy was doing it. She now wants me to compensate her for the work I did. I was wondering if she has a case against me. I've never had a problem with a customer in the 10 years I've been doing this. The way I see it the new contractor had a vested interest in saying I did things wrong. Thanks for any response.
I honestly don't think that she does. If there was a warranty or implied warranty she needed to give you the opportunity to fix the problem. She did not. However, you kind of made a mistake offering to do work for her for free...because that could be construed as an implied agreement that you did something wrong. I understand why you did that, but its perhaps something you want to avoid doing in the future unless you are actually at fault.

emtcee1973

I honestly don't think that she does. If there was a warranty or implied warranty she needed to give you the opportunity to fix the problem. She did not. However, you kind of made a mistake offering to do work for her for free...because that could be construed as an implied agreement that you did something wrong. I understand why you did that, but its perhaps something you want to avoid doing in the future unless you are actually at fault.

Your right but I said it to appease her. I've never had an unhappy client, just wanted to make her happy for my name sake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">