• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Increased charges during construction project

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pgpn

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I signed a contract to build a 500-600 square foot deck. When I checked on the work, I realized it was much smaller than I anticipated. The contractor said that what I wanted would amount to "almost 1000 square feet" so he would have to approximately double the cost. Like a dummy, I verbally agreed. Later, I measured the work that he had done so far. You guessed it: 250 square feet. There's no way to even fit a 600 square foot deck in the available space, much less 1000.

Obviously my spatial skills are poor, and I feel like a sucker. Can he hold me to the new cost, even though the new work he is doing is actually no more than was specified in the original contract? What are my options?

stevek3

pgpn said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I signed a contract to build a 500-600 square foot deck. When I checked on the work, I realized it was much smaller than I anticipated. The contractor said that what I wanted would amount to "almost 1000 square feet" so he would have to approximately double the cost. Like a dummy, I verbally agreed. Later, I measured the work that he had done so far. You guessed it: 250 square feet. There's no way to even fit a 600 square foot deck in the available space, much less 1000.

Obviously my spatial skills are poor, and I feel like a sucker. Can he hold me to the new cost, even though the new work he is doing is actually no more than was specified in the original contract? What are my options?
Personally, I'd tell the chump to build me a second 250 foot deck to match the first 250 foot deck, and then I'd kick out the supports and drop it on him. Try it, and let me know how that works out for you.

P

pgpn

I spoke with the contractor today, and he said that in the original contract, "500-600 square foot deck, with railing" refers to a deck made using 500-600 square feet of lumber. He said that's why the actual measurements are only 19 x 13 (he said the railing will also have to be figured into the square footage).

I admit I'm new to all this, but that sounds bogus. Is lumber usage really the standard?

HomeGuru

pgpn said:
I spoke with the contractor today, and he said that in the original contract, "500-600 square foot deck, with railing" refers to a deck made using 500-600 square feet of lumber. He said that's why the actual measurements are only 19 x 13 (he said the railing will also have to be figured into the square footage).

I admit I'm new to all this, but that sounds bogus. Is lumber usage really the standard?
**A: what a joke. Measurement of the deck per contract is in square feet, the general method for measurement of a house. The lumber material is sold in board feet. I'd say use the word con in contractor.

Last edited:

stevek3

pgpn said:

I'm guessing you found this guy in the classified section of the newspaper, or something similar. Am I right?

P

pgpn

Actually, I found him on the BBB website. He was one of the few roofers with no history of complaints. I was planning to add a deck after he finished doing the roof, but he said that unless he did the deck the roof guarantee would be void. In retrospect, I should have gone with a carpenter.

Anyway, thanks to the advice on this board I confronted him. I pointed out that the final surface area of the deck was about 450 square feet, and that the contract didn't say anything about lumber usage. He backed down substantially.

I wound up agreeing to pay slightly more than the contract stated (~10%), but still far less than he had wanted (almost 60%). Maybe I shouldn't have budged at all, but in the end I think the price was fair, compared to other bids. Anyway, next time I will be more careful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">