• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Claim & Contractor Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

altjimwilson

What is the name of your state? MO

I asked this question in the insurance forum, but no responses. After looking around, it's probably a better idea to post it here.

Thanks in advance, 'freeadvice' is by far the best forum that I have ever used! Thanks again everybody!

Just a few questions regarding a home claim I have do to a bad hail storm.

1) My home was damaged in a recent hail storm. My Insurance Company wants to replace part of the siding and part of the roof, but not all of either. I'm worried that the old/new will not match up. Do I have any recourse?

2) What is this 20% extra that I hear the contractors talking about? Does my insurance company pay my selected contractor extra for some reason?

3) I need a contractor to do most of the work. But my claim check will also include things that "I" will do, not the contractor (like replace a playground and stain my deck). Will the insurance company issue the check(s) to me or the contractor or mortgage company?

Obviously, the check total(s) will be for more then the contractor is charging - because I'm doing some of the work. How can I keep my work and the contractors work seperate?

For example:
Assuming I get two checks payable to me or my mortgage company....
Say I get a 1st check for $5,000 and a second check for $5,000 after the work is complete.

My contractor wants $9,500 to complete the work (excluding the playground and deck that I plan to do). So, I only have a bill for $9,500 to send the insurance company to release the second check - even though all of the repairs are done (some by me).

Hope this makes sense, as you can tell I'm not very educated about this stuff - and I don't trust either the insurance company or the contractors!

Can you explain how this process works?

Thanks in advance for any advice!:confused:

HomeGuru

altjimwilson said:
What is the name of your state? MO

I asked this question in the insurance forum, but no responses. After looking around, it's probably a better idea to post it here.

Thanks in advance, 'freeadvice' is by far the best forum that I have ever used! Thanks again everybody!

Just a few questions regarding a home claim I have do to a bad hail storm.

1) My home was damaged in a recent hail storm. My Insurance Company wants to replace part of the siding and part of the roof, but not all of either. I'm worried that the old/new will not match up. Do I have any recourse?

**A: read your policy. Repair/replacement of the affected area does not generally entail total replacement and matching the colors.

2) What is this 20% extra that I hear the contractors talking about? Does my insurance company pay my selected contractor extra for some reason?

**A: could this be overhead and profit?

3) I need a contractor to do most of the work. But my claim check will also include things that "I" will do, not the contractor (like replace a playground and stain my deck). Will the insurance company issue the check(s) to me or the contractor or mortgage company?

**A: call the insurance company and find out. Procedures differ among companies and type of claim.
Obviously, the check total(s) will be for more then the contractor is charging - because I'm doing some of the work. How can I keep my work and the contractors work seperate?

**A: get separate bids and and invoices for the 2 types of work.
For example:
Assuming I get two checks payable to me or my mortgage company....
Say I get a 1st check for $5,000 and a second check for $5,000 after the work is complete.

My contractor wants $9,500 to complete the work (excluding the playground and deck that I plan to do). So, I only have a bill for $9,500 to send the insurance company to release the second check - even though all of the repairs are done (some by me).

Hope this makes sense, as you can tell I'm not very educated about this stuff - and I don't trust either the insurance company or the contractors!

Can you explain how this process works?

Thanks in advance for any advice!:confused:
**A: keep the 2 types of work separate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">