• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issues with AC Contractor in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NewHome0wner

I've had a disreputable air conditioning company in Florida replace my air conditioning unit and duct work. On the day of delivery of the unit last November I paid by credit card $6200 of the $7900 total. They had a crane truck on my property without my authorization (were supposed to use a lift) and it shattered my sidewalk and cracked my driveway. I reported the issue to the owner. They subsequently had someone out to look at the concrete who told me they'd be in touch. I then left for week on a business trip and returned to find they had repaired the sidewalk (very badly leaving form boards, concrete in my yard and other issues). Nothing was done to the driveway.

I then found that they had charged my credit card for the remainder of the balance without my authorization. I emailed them and they reversed the charges. Then a month later, they charged my credit card again without permission then reversed again when I complained so I subsequently changed my credit card number. After that I got 2 estimates from licensed concrete contractors to fix the concrete and sent them to the owner at his request to explain why I was withholding the remaining $1700 (both estimates for the concrete repair were $1800).

I won't go into details but there were a lot of major problems with the new ac over the summer but the unit is under a warranty for 1 year after install so they sent people out when it was shutting off etc. 2 months ago, they added a return air vent which was part of my original contract (they only installed 4 originally but there was supposed to be 5). Last week, I received an invoice for the new return but for 3 returns not 1 "as proven by the parts their worker purchased" and asking $900. I told them they could come inspect the AC and see that there are only 5. I called and emailed their office, finally the owner responded that he would call me about the new invoice and the "outstanding balance" even though we've spoken multiple times about the concrete which he seems to conveniently forget.

My thought at this point is to explain the situation to the owner. I offered to let him repair the concrete if he used a licensed professional but he says I have to let "his guys" do it or pay the remaining balance. I want to just end my interactions with him and get something in writing stating that I don't owe him anything. Should I tell him that I am going to file complaints with the state contracting association and call my local county building office? There was no permit for the duct work and only a permit for the ac replacement after I asked. Perhaps I should file a police report as well regarding the unauthorized credit card charges? What other actions can I take?

I feel like he is trying to create a false paper trail for a legal case and/or bully me and I want to be prepared.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">