• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land boundary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goliver

What is the name of your state? New York

I purchased my home in 1990. The house next to mine had a fence that bordered my property, this house is now in closing. The real estate agent hired a surveyor who reported that the fence has to be extended about 10 feet unto my property. The real estate agent has since removed the fence, but has not put up another. I had my land surveyed and found that it was true. However, was it legal for him to take down the fence? Can I put up a fence at the original spot as my house was purchased with those original dimensions? What are my options?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Did you pay for and install the fence? If not then no, you have NO options except to purchase a new fence and place it on your own land.

HomeGuru

Goliver said:
What is the name of your state? New York

The real estate agent hired a surveyor who reported that the fence has to be extended about 10 feet unto my property.

**A: care to explain that?

Goliver

The prospective buyer (who is in closing) told me that it was the real estate agent who contacted a surveyor. The surveyor surveyed the land found that the fence had to be moved to 10 feet unto my property. I did an independent survey and found this to be true. They have since taken down the fence. Should I put one back up in that spot or move it 10 feet into my property. The original fence was there for over 15 years.

HomeGuru

Goliver said:
The prospective buyer (who is in closing) told me that it was the real estate agent who contacted a surveyor. The surveyor surveyed the land found that the fence had to be moved to 10 feet unto my property. I did an independent survey and found this to be true. They have since taken down the fence. Should I put one back up in that spot or move it 10 feet into my property. The original fence was there for over 15 years.

**A: you can install your fence anywhere on your property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">