• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land Survey/New Home Development/Fence/State Survey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fkbsar

Land Survey/New Home Development/Fence/Stake Survey

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Thank you in advance for your replies.

I am having a home built. I picked out my lot and just received a copy of the land survey. You can see it here:

http://www.geocities.com/fkbsar/Survey.html?1122470468203

In the back of the property I was told by the land surveyors that there is a 20' D.E. Am I allowed to put my fence in that part of the yard?

When I looked at the survey boundaries I couldn't believe them. I want to put up a fence but just looking with a novice eye I can see where If I put a fence in I will lose a whole lot of land on the left of the fence but not so much on the right. I understand that I am obligated to take care of the property that is outside of the fence as well within my boundaries. That is no problem. It was suggested by the surveyors that I get a Stake Survey and that they would rebar the boundaries, file that with the State of Indiana, and that the Stake Survey would help the fence company to install the fence. Is that a good idea or just wasted money

Last edited:

jimmler

fkbsar said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

Thank you in advance for your replies.

I am having a home built. I picked out my lot and just received a copy of the land survey. You can see it here:

http://www.geocities.com/fkbsar/Survey.html?1122470468203

In the back of the property I was told by the land surveyors that there is a 20" D.E. Am I allowed to put my fence in that part of the yard?

When I looked at the survey boundaries I couldn't believe them. I want to put up a fence but just looking with a novice eye I can see where If I put a fence in I will lose a whole lot of land on the left of the fence but not so much on the right. I understand that I am obligated to take care of the property that is outside of the fence as well within my boundaries. That is no problem. It was suggested by the surveyors that I get a State Survey and that they would rebar the boundaries, file that with the State of Indiana, and that the State Survey would help the fence company to install the fence. Is that a good idea or just wasted money

The survey that you posted is not a boundary or "stake" survey. It appears to be a plot plan or site plan used to obtain a building permit. It is one of the survey items you need when building a home, but does not include the setting of lot corners.

You need to get a "stake" survey (boundary survey) to have your lot corners set. Usually the surveyor will set an iron rebar or pipe at the corners, with a witness stake so you can easily find the corners. The pipe or rebar is the corner, not the wooden stake. You should use the pipe or rebar to put in your fence.

I am not sure if you can put a fence in the easement, you could call your local county office and ask (the public works dept. should be able to answer for you). If you can put a fence in it, just be aware that if the easement is ever needed, they would have the right to remove your fence to do any work in the easement.

A boundary survey shows you where your property lines are. This adds value to your property, and lets you know that any improvements you build are on your property. This can save you money in the long run, if you build a fence you won't end up having to move it later when your neighbor gets a survey and finds out your fence and landscaping are on thier property. By avoiding a boundary dispute in the beginning, you can avoid costly litigation in the future (just read some of the posts on this board regarding boundary disputes, they can get ugly).

Hope this helps,
jimmler

I am not a lawyer, I have been in surveying since 1989.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">