• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landscaper threatens lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

megan22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I found a lawn service company on craigslist where they advertised rates of as low as $18/week (I have a copy of the ad as proof). A guy came and gave me a verbal quote for $24 per cut. I was billed monthly for $98 (4 cuts) and always paid on time. After 2-3 months of service, they failed to show up due to rain. I called to say that although I know it rained, they could have come 2-3 days later to make up for it, like the other services in the area. The 'Accounts' guys basically yelled at me, swore and told me that 1) I signed up for MONTHLY service (not per cut) 2) rain is act of god and they will not come 3) I need to pay whether they come or not, they will not make reasonable effort to make up missed cuts. I informed him this is unacceptable and that I never agreed to these terms, after which he proceeded to yell some more and said he will cancel my account, after service for 1 week in August.
Few weeks later, I get a bill for $120 for entire month of August. I sent him a check for $24 as he only cut for 1 week in Aug - and noted "final payment" on check.
Month later, I get another bill for $98 plus $10 late fees with a note that if I don't pay up, he will place a lien.

My questions are: does he have legal right to place a lien on my property? From what I read, lawn service does not improve value of the property so it does not apply. Can he collect even though there was never a written nor oral agreement from me to pay for monthly service, no matter whether he shows or not, and on top to impose late charges to which I never agreed to?

I'm thinking his threats are empty, but wanted to see where I stand. If he does place a lien, can I request he proves there was a contract?

justalayman

is there anything written? If so, does your contract or whatever writing you may have) specify a per cut or a monthly charge? Does it specify how many cuts per month are included? Does it specify if there are fewer or even no cuts in a month for any specific reason and the affect it may have on the bill?

Few weeks later, I get a bill for $120 for entire month of August.
5 cuts in that month?

If so, and barring any writing to the contrary he has established it is a "per cut" charge and as such, can only charge you for the actual cuts in any given month.

can I request he proves there was a contract?
proving the contract is simple. He has statements and payments from you that would support the existence of a contract. The terms are the only thing that would be in dispute and as I stated above, if he billed you for 5 cuts in a month, it would show a per cut fee.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2254&ChapterID=63
from the mechanic's lien statute:
(b) As used in subsection (a) of this Section, "improve" means to furnish labor, services, material, fixtures, apparatus or machinery, forms or form work in the process of construction where cement, concrete or like material is used for the purpose of or in the building, altering, repairing or ornamenting any house or other building, walk or sidewalk, whether the walk or sidewalk is on the land or bordering thereon, driveway, fence or improvement or appurtenances to the lot or tract of land or connected therewith, and upon, over or under a sidewalk, street or alley adjoining; or fill, sod or excavate such lot or tract of land, or do landscape work thereon or therefor; or raise or lower any house thereon or remove any house thereto, or remove any house or other structure therefrom, or perform any services or incur any expense as an architect, structural engineer, professional engineer, land surveyor or property manager in, for or on a lot or tract of land for any such purpose;
it would appear you lose on that point.

megan22

response

There is no written contract whatsoever, only oral agreement of $24 per cut. When I was quoted this price, late fees, monthly service was NEVER mentioned-- I would never agree to these terms.

For the 1st few months, he billed $98/month. Last bill was $120 - I have no idea why because he only cut it ONCE and it does not add up. My guess he decided to raise the price, as he's know for makingchanges as he goes.

I should have checked him out first - now I am finding horrible reviews on yelp, similar to my experience.

I am surprised anyone can file a lien just because, even though legally they shouldn't be able to.

justalayman

megan22;3296964]There is no written contract whatsoever, only oral agreement of $24 per cut.
but there is A contract. Unless there is a requirement the contract be written, it is irrelevant as all it requires is A contract.

When I was quoted this price, late fees, monthly service was NEVER mentioned-- I would never agree to these terms.
then it sounds like it was a per cut fee. You might want to check any invoices sent regarding late fees. Charges are due upon presentation and there is generally nothing to prevent them from charging interest and sometimes a late fee for charges not paid on demand.

For the 1st few months, he billed $98/month. Last bill was $120 - I have no idea why because he only cut it ONCE and it does not add up. My guess he decided to raise the price, as he's know for makingchanges as he goes.
I would use the $120 charge to argue it was a per cut charge. That means if he only made one cut in August, then you owe for only one cut.

I am surprised anyone can file a lien just because, even though legally they shouldn't be able to.
it's not just because. It's because he believes you owe him money.

Now, to counter the filing of a lien, you might want to start some research on slander of title.

https://www.google.com/search?q=illinois+slander+of+title&oq=illinois+slander+of+title&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.5840j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

megan22

By just because, I mean someone should have to show proof, where it be a judgment or written agreement. it seems I can place a lien against someone out of spite? which appears to be his motive.

justalayman

By just because, I mean someone should have to show proof, where it be a judgment or written agreement. it seems I can place a lien against someone out of spite? which appears to be his motive.
I understand your point and that is why slander of title is available to homeowners that are the subject of invalid liens on their property.

megan22

I understand your point and that is why slander of title is available to homeowners that are the subject of invalid liens on their property.
I read on another site that you can force the company after filing for lien to bring this to court to prove their case, or else remove the lien. In essence, I need to send a demand letter of this. Not sure if this is valid of IL though.

justalayman

I read on another site that you can force the company after filing for lien to bring this to court to prove their case, or else remove the lien. In essence, I need to send a demand letter of this. Not sure if this is valid of IL though.
I provided a link to the involved statute. Take a look. I did not read it well but what you say is not uncommon in many states. I wouldn't be surprised there is a right to contest the lien in your state.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I see you're not reading the responses. :cool:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Illinois+%22slander+of+title%22

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">