• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaking Windows In Brick Wall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

damnhill

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
Purchased home 8 mos. ago. Both upstairs and downstairs windows in brick veneer wall portion of wall are leaking around the windows inside, and wood trim has warped, some wet drywall, etc. We think this may be a result of no flashing. Also, the brickwork itself is probably against code (1995 construction) as we see no weep holes or flashing. About to call in a contractor to fix. If there are code violations, should we take action against builder? If so, with whom do we start.. our insurer? Our lawyer? We're taking digital pics, meanwhile.

Thanks.

lwpat

"We're taking digital pics"

First of all digital pictures can be altered and are usually not admissable.

It will be impossible for anyone on this forum to tell you if you have a cause of action. You indicate that you have an attorney. Start with him.

HomeGuru

damnhill said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
Purchased home 8 mos. ago. Both upstairs and downstairs windows in brick veneer wall portion of wall are leaking around the windows inside, and wood trim has warped, some wet drywall, etc. We think this may be a result of no flashing. Also, the brickwork itself is probably against code (1995 construction) as we see no weep holes or flashing. About to call in a contractor to fix. If there are code violations, should we take action against builder? If so, with whom do we start.. our insurer? Our lawyer? We're taking digital pics, meanwhile.

Thanks.
**A: is this a brand new home? You can contact the building code inspector, the project architect and a home inspector.
Inspections need to be made by experts to determine the cause of the problems.

D

damnhill

To Home Guru: should we go back and take "regular" pictures? Or should we have our lawyer take pictures? Or a professional mason and window installer take the pictures?

Usually in legal cases where there is evidence, someone has taken pictures? Who is it usually?

p.s. I don't understand what is impossible about my question. If it's shoddy workmanship, there should be a clear course of action. I'm going to have a positive attitude about this and not listen to negative posters.

D

damnhill

The home is eight years old.

We had problems in our first home in the same town. The local city building inspector was not cooperative, said he did not have a copy of the UDC and didn't know where I could research my problem. Made me believe he was protecting the builder. Ended up having to fix the problem (to avoid further weather damage) without taking legal action, and this time I don't want to "eat" someone's shoddy workmanship again.

HomeGuru

damnhill said:
To Home Guru: should we go back and take "regular" pictures? Or should we have our lawyer take pictures? Or a professional mason and window installer take the pictures?

**A: your lawyer will advise you to hire an expert consultant. That person will inspect, take photos and document the problems.

Usually in legal cases where there is evidence, someone has taken pictures? Who is it usually?

p.s. I don't understand what is impossible about my question. If it's shoddy workmanship, there should be a clear course of action.

**A: it is not as easy as you think. Read some horror stories at www.hadd,com and www.hobb.org

I'm going to have a positive attitude about this and not listen to negative posters.

**A: right on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">