• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien on House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taurussho91

Michigan

I had a flood in my basement. I called a company out to remove the water. They came out and I dropped the pump in the basement. I used the pump for about 5 hours. The next morning they called and asked how everything was. I informed them water was completely out over night.

They had to come get there pump. They called and said it wasn't top priority so they will get it when they could. Took about 5 days for them to come back.

I got a bill gor 915$. I posted on facebook that it seemed really high for a small pump. I didnt name the company, didnt bad mouth them. Someone asked who did it so I told them. The owner saw the post somehow and called and went off on me. Told me to delete it right then or he would charge me full price.

He said he didnt know I had insurance so thst is why he gave me a discounted rate at first. Even know the contract a signed even had my insurance companies name on there.

So they sent me a new bill at this time for $6000. They said now I had it in use for 5 full days at 24hrs a day. Complete lie on by them.

Now the put a lien on my house for over $6000. Really need advice as what to do here. Just a week ago I got a bill for the $900. Then today I get the one saying $6000 and lien on the house. Plus intrest because I havent paid yet. Insurance check just cleared the bank last week.

justalayman

first, what you owe would be based on your contract. If it was the higher price but they were going to charge you less for whatever reason, well, they can demand the higher price if they choose to since that is what you agreed to. If it is the lower price, then they cannot change it and charge more.

as to how long you had it; you will have to refer to your contract to determine if you were required to return the pump or if they were obligated to pick it up. If the first one, then you did have the pump so you owe,. If the latter, then I would argue you called to have them pick it up but it was their delay that is the issue so you do not owe the additional days.

Plus intrest
is there interest on unpaid balances agreed to in the contract? If not, they cannot charge you interest.

taurussho91

The only paper I signed was for them dropping the pump off. It was just basic paper saying name, insurance company, and saying water removal.

The first bill I got was 2 weeks after the pump was removed. Then he raisef the price over 5000$ becsuse of my Facebook post. I still have the original bill and the paper I singed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">